Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I'm waiting for Macworld just to be sure there's nothing new or no new special deals/discounts etc. , but assuming there's nothing extraordinary there with regards to Powerbooks, I am going to want a new 15" PB, 1.25 GHZ w/Superdrive, 1GB Ram as fast as humanly possible. 2 questions. My wife is going to Sonoma State in the fall, so I'd like to take advantage of the edu discount. I noticed in the online store that it doesn't ask you for any proof. Can I go ahead and order it in my name from the Apple Edu store? Is this risky? What could happen? Also, how long from the time I order until I will get this puppy? I can not stand waiting any longer!!!!!!

thatoneguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2004
I can't stand the wait either!!! I've been patient for quite some time now and I'm glad I didn't buy the AlBook back in the early part of October with all the flaws that have been exposed in recent months by the current owners.

As far as Macworld is concerned, I too am waiting to hear on what Steve Jobs says during his keynote. I doubt anything big will come from it in regards to a new Powerbook (i.e. G5.), but rumors circumventing the web/forums are stating application upgrades to the current iLife series and possibly the unveiling of the new mini-iPods.

The cycle of annoucing a new PB is usually quite awhile, and since the G5 Power Macs came out at the end of this past summer, and with all the issues regarding heat, I don't see a G5 powerbook in the making for atleast another year. Besides, I wouldn't want to get the first generation of anything new. I find it better to just wait and see what happens with users who buy their products right away.

I'm a college student myself, and will take advantage of the Apple Education discount on my future purchase (hopefully). In regards to your question, I checked on Apple's website and haven't really found anything concrete as stating whether or not they take legal actions (you may think it's extreme, ask Microsoft and they'll tell you talk to their lawyers about it, some companies are serious about these Education discounts) in case Apple really wants to waste their time with educational audits, but you never know, and don't take my word for it! If I were you, I'd go down to your local Apple Store (if one is nearby) and just ask what the terms and conditions are for purchasing under the educational discount. It won't kill you and as the old adage says: It's better to be safe than sorry!

One more thing about the educational discount, you say putting it in your name causes some concern, at least that's how I'm reading your post. Think of it this way: how do some college students buy a computer, software from companies that offer educational discounts when they don't have any form of payment? You can take out a loan, but chances are their parents or significant other (whomever that maybe), will buy the item for them under their name and not the students, even though it's the student who is registered at the school and is using the equipment on a full time basis. That's considered a loophole, but I would advise you take the time and see what an Apple associate says about this topic.

As far your second question is concerned, I could not tell you off hand. Some reports from users who just purchased their machines have said the delievery time took less than a week, to at most a month! I think the latter may have been due to the issues regarding the whitespots on the screen, but that's just speculation.

Good luck!
Krikor

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Yes, the do require proof. You wouldn't be the only one on the block to have tried to impersonate a student to get the Ed discount.

If you need the computer before then, buy it. If you can wait until you have a legit Edu claim, then it might be worth it. Who knows what powerbooks might look like in a few months...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
right now a BTO 15.2" powerbook is shipping in 5-7 business days. If you want something now, you can go to the nearest Apple store. The honor Edu discounts in the physical stores too - you just need your proof of being a student - current college id, current transcript etc.

rbro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Originally posted by carletonmusic
Yes, the do require proof. You wouldn't be the only one on the block to have tried to impersonate a student to get the Ed discount.

Proof in the online store? Where? I got as far as hitting the button to checkout and I didn't see any request for proof. Where do they ask you for proof?

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
They said that shipping would be about two weeks, it took exacly one week. Woo.

They never asked for proof in any part of my (rather large) online order with an educational discount. Funny thing, when I got my iPod at an apple store, I got a discount because I work at a k12 district. All they needed was my school ID, and for me to say that I would fax them an old paystub.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I believe you need to have an Apple user name to fully check out.

K-12 users are just as qualified as post-secondary users. A photo ID is usually the default proof. Never heard of the paystub thing before.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Proof

When I first signed up with the Apple Education Store. I called and asked a rep. He said after purchasing your first Apple Education Order, Apple will call your educational institute to verify your status. They keep your proof on file until the next school year, where if you order again they will call again to verify your status. Don't take advantage of the Apple Education Store. Otherwise, Apple will make it harder to purchase from it. Usually you will only save $100 on a Mac purchase (and you will pay that back in sales tax).. other vendors usually will offer you free ram, free bags, or other items (and you don't have to pay sales tax).

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Right, that process is still "proving" that you are a legit Edu customer.

Apple has your credit card information from the transaction. Often times, companies will charge you the remaining amount well after the fact if you try to scam on rebates discounts etc.

Just think about it this way - how many other people thought they could scam the Apple store this way? Don't count on this being an original idea.

rbro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003

Just think about it this way - how many other people thought they could scam the Apple store this way? Don't count on this being an original idea.

Oh it's not anoriginal idea at all. And I bet it's done all the time.

rbro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I guess my point was - you don't think anyone at Apple would have thought about that?

Let us know how it goes...

They probably realize that there's a small enough percentage of people that will actually try to get the edu discount without having the proper "proof", that it's not worth the effort and manpower to follow up every single order at least for the online store. It's obviously not a very strict rule. Like someone else said, parents get computers for their students using the edu discount etc. My wife is going to Sonoma State anyway in the fall, I just would rather have the computer in my name and get it now.

thatoneguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2004
As long as someone is going to Sonoma State in your household, I don't think you should worry about it. Besides, if the Apple Police come knocking on your door trying to find out if you're using the machine or your wife, you can always wipe your fingerprints off. (hehe) Just kidding. Enjoy the discount; enjoy the machine.
-Krikor

rbro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Originally posted by thatoneguy
As long as someone is going to Sonoma State in your household, I don't think you should worry about it. Besides, if the Apple Police come knocking on your door trying to find out if you're using the machine or your wife, you can always wipe your fingerprints off. (hehe) Just kidding. Enjoy the discount; enjoy the machine.
-Krikor

That's pretty much the way I've been looking at it. Kinda like downloading those MP3's........

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
When I bought my Powermac (but this was a few years back) at the Apple Store online, they had me fax my student ID. I actually had to do this, otherwise they wouldn't have shipped my item. (I know this b/c I forgot to fax it, and then they contacted me - I think sent me an email) and said they couldn't ship until they had my faxed student ID. Like I said, this was a few years ago, but I assume they have a verification system in place just like everyone else. Otherwise everyone and their uncle would take advantage of this, so I bet they verify.

rbro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Originally posted by true777
Otherwise everyone and their uncle would take advantage of this, so I bet they verify.

Let's find out. I'll post a separate thread.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.