How long accessory support will last for ipad pro 9.7?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fuzzball84, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

Now that the iPad Pro 9.7 is discontinued, how long do you think accessories such as the 9.7 inch smart keyboard will be available from apple?

I dont plan to upgrade but I am a little shocked how short a run the 9.7 inch Pro has lasted. I think it was never meant to be a Pro, it was truly just the Air 3

2. Wackery macrumors 6502a

3. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I think once they sell off the remaining accesories the device will be completely out of date and obselete. Ive been told that it is no longer a supported device, def gives me the iPad 3 feeling. I think its now a dud.

4. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Sucks, seems like they didn't have the 10.5" ready in time and launched the 9.7" first instead. But how many accessories do you really need? At least they might come at a discount now.

5. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually got my pro 9.7 on a student discount from best buy plus additional points so cost me several hundred less than the current model. So its still a real good deal and looks like it will stil be supported by iOS for the next 3 to 4 versions after iOS 11

6. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

The iPad 4 will not receive iOS 11, but it has been supported for five years now which is something you probably can eexpect for your Pro as well.

But if you're worried accessories might become unavailable in say a year, why not get them now?

7. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive got the accesories, its just what happens if I damage my keyboard and I can no longer buy a replacment because it is discontinued.

8. epca12 macrumors regular

Maybe until the next refresh but hopefully it could mean that they're discounted elsewhere. If they completely disappear there's always the one for the 10.5 inch but that will be a bit big especially on the top and bottom, sides might be fine if you have a case

9. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats not what you expect from a premium device company lol

10. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

I think that's not going to look great.

IMG_0847.JPG
    9.7 on top of 10.5 (The Verge)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2017 ---
    To drop accessories after two years? It's not that strange, really.

11. epca12 macrumors regular

Well if they see it as a different model it could stick around for a bit longer but i doubt it. Maybe you should get the 10.5 inch with better accessory support, unless the design changes next year as well :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2017 ---
    If you had a bulk case it might not be that bad, but it's definitely a last resort