How long after the event do laptops release?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Empyre, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Empyre macrumors member

So as everyone has heard, the new notebooks are to be revealed October 14th, but my question is how long after the media event will the notebooks be available for purchase from Apple? If anyone knows a time frame, I would love to know!

Thanks in advance!

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

iirc the air was announced and released within the same month (but not the same day)

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

Apple always tries to have 'available/shipping today', but they can't always pull it off.

However, if I were a betting man, I would say the rumor that the macbooks were already shipping to stores about a month ago was credible, and that they will be able to pull off a 'available now' or at most 'two days later'.

4. Habusho macrumors 6502

They usually get them in the Apple Stores a day or two after introduction. I don't think regular retail stores get them before announcement.

5. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait another month to actually order one =). I'm going to order one from the apple website anyways. Another question however, does anyone know if Apple offers student discounts to Brand new products like that? the $100 or $200 discount

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

yeah I'm thinking week or two until shipping, preorder immediately.

7. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Ok so after the product is announced, Apple will take pre-orders for the different variations of notebooks? If so that would be great becuase I fully intended on dropping about $3000 next tuesday haha

8. Habusho macrumors 6502

When you think about it 3K for a notebook seems like an outrageous amount. :eek:

9. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

I was exaggerating =p I'm just saying im prepared to drop some money on one of the new MBP's. But does anybody know if Apple will offer the College student discount for the new MBPs?

10. Betelgeuse macrumors member

AFAIK, there's no reason to think they won't.

11. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Thats great news, Another $200 off my purchase it looks like :D....Cant wait for tuesday!!

12. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Yup, you'll be able to get the discount! I got it after the last MBP refresh.

They'll probably be available as there's been reports of boxes at Apple stores that are not to be opened until Oct. 14th.

13. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

where are these reports? One person posted an article but the reporter said he "presumed" there were boxes. Do you have other sources??? Oh and I'm not trying to be rude; I really hope I missed something!

14. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea i think i missed that too. Im not being rude either but if that was the case it would be on the front page by now.

Edit: Ok i found a link in another thread about this box thing. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2008/10/dont_buy_a_mac_laptop.html.

"You'd make a huge mistake to buy an Apple laptop until the news comes out on Tuesday and, presumably, employees at Apple stores will get a go-ahead from Cupertino to open the mysterious boxes that just arrived in the back room."

15. boiledsoup macrumors newbie

College Stores

If they are in stores on October 14th, would it be available at all mac authorized dealerships? I'll be in college so It'll be more convenient for me if i was able to pick up one from my college store. I would not like to bike 2 miles to the apple store near my school and carry back a $2,000 macbook pro on my back

16. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Yeah, to tell you truth, I just read about them in the forums. But, most likely, they'll be available on the 14th.

Unlike Tallest Skil, I keep my wordings to "most likely." I never say with 100% certainty. Too much risk in that.

17. duykur macrumors regular

Since it's Thanksgiving (in canada) on Monday, that seems like a good day to ship the laptops without anyone noticing.

18. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

I wonder if the journalist who wrote that article was Just presuming the boxes have already arrived or if he actually heard from someone that worked at an apple store

o_O
    o_O!

I would guess that the macbooks, if they were available on launch day, would only be available at Apple Stores, and then the units would trickle into Best Buy stores and stuff like that...thats just my guess. But I do think that they will be available on launch day =) since this refresh is much anticipated!

19. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I go to college in the uk , does anyone know what I would need to get this discount?

20. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

there is gonna be mayhem at Apple stores on Tuesday haha :D

AFAIK, college stores, and authorized dealers don't get them immediately. At least that was the case with the last MBP refresh in February, when my college store didn't get the new MBPs till weeks later.

So, the Apple store is always the best bet for the latest Apple goodies.

This is my wish: that they be made available immediately on Tuesday. I would like to be able to test drive them at the Apple store before deciding.

However, the 2 weeks thing is a possibility.

21. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

If they're available on the 14th it will be Apple stores only and not all the chains and smaller reseller shops. There's no way in hell that we wouldn't have photos of the boxes at least if they were shipped to all kinds of shops. I can see them being in crates in the back rooms at Apple stores though. Thats possible even if unlikely. :)

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Usually if it's just a refresh it can ship the same day, but with a redesign, it may take a week or so.