How long after the public release will apple continue to sign old firmware?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sonicrobby, Aug 12, 2013.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Ive searched the forums with no luck, so I come here to ask the simple question.
    In years past, how long after the official release of the new version of iOS will users be able to downgrade back to the old one?

2. Jab00 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure its close to immediate. But I could also be very wrong I don't pay much attention to that usually.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Less than a week, usually.

There's really not much point. There is a good description with lots of screenshots and a video on Apple.com, and tons of other articles and videos around the web.

Plenty of opportunity to check it out and see what it looks like without upgrading.

But, if you do, and for some reason with actually using it you are unhappy, there is a small window where the old OS is still signed, but like I said, could be a few hours, a day or two or maybe a week.

4. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

So even with the 6 ispw you won't be able to restore to that after the cutoff? Will the restore fail in iTunes?

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Unless you were jail broken and saved your shsh blobs, iTunes will give you a "this device is not eligible for this build" error I think.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Correct. You can only restore to firmware currently being signed.

This only applies to the iPhone 4 and earlier. The 4S and 5 cannot be downgraded. For those phones, blobs are useless.

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Thanks.