iPad How long are they gonna sell the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zellio, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

2. Altis macrumors 68000

I suspect it will fade out in tandem with dropping the 1st gen mini.

They are essentially the same thing, in terms of components and screen resolution. Makes sense to stop sourcing the parts for both at the same time, while putting to rest the 1024x768 displays.

3. Vladislav macrumors regular

They going to sell it forever!! Or it seems so....:D

4. barryl85 macrumors regular

Is it the last device they sell with the 30 pin charge/sync port? I would have thought by now they would have eradicated it.

5. Davejprince macrumors regular

It's still a solid product, it works fine on iOS 7, does everything the new "iPad air" does except for the display and kazillion times the graphic/cpu performance ( lolwut)

6. iParis, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

They still sell the iPhone 4S with a 30-pin connector, so I suspect the iPad 2 will be discontinued at the iPad update after the iPhone 4S is discontinued next fall.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPod classic. Last updated in 2008 but is basically the same model as was released in 2007. So six years and counting... :D

8. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

And the iPod Shuffle! :D

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Oh yeah.. I forgot they still sold those.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

My guess is they will sell it for as long as there are people willing to buy it. When people stop buying it, I am pretty sure they will stop selling it.

11. VinoGrande macrumors member

You're extremely short sighted and obviously don't see the big picture. There are 3 reasons where you don't know what you're complaining about:

1) You aren't a business. A lot of corporations and businesses have invested in 30-pin iPad accessories. They also buy iPads by the hundreds or thousands. Do the math. $100 saved ($130 with the adapter included when upgrading) on every iPad can mean millions saved overall.

2) The psychological. Not everyone can tell the difference between an iPad 2 and a retina iPad, my parents included. They see price with perfect clarity. If they see two devices that do the same basic tasks, and one is $100 cheaper, guess what, that's what they're going for. People seem to be buying them in droves still, so who cares.

3) Margin. Apple is a business, regardless of what shiny, squishy, cute message they convey during their keynotes. They are making iPad 2s for pennies on the dollar. And people are STILL buying them at the $399 price point. If you were selling a product for 45% margin one year, then 75% margin the next year with a good number of people/companies STILL buying, would you stop offering it? You'd be a moron if you did.

Business 101 kiddo.

12. Goldenswo140 macrumors newbie

Until people stop buying it...i mean those sales numbers are ridiculous!

13. isephmusic macrumors 6502

once morons stop buying them for their parents and grandparents

speak with your wallets !!! look at the prices of data service once people started jumping on prepaid

14. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

When people stop buying them.

15. Macalway macrumors 68000

I think it's a great idea keeping these as the low end. Upgrade the cpu, and it's still a very attractive package.

Just get these into as many hands as possible

(Unless of course they are Somali pirates going real hi-tech :eek: )

16. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

The iPad 2 is a commercial/corporate device.

I'm surprised it's still worth that much.

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

18. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Keeping the iPad 2 around is a brilliant move. It's a great option for parents who want to buy it for the kids and also for seniors who even with 2 sets of reading glasses couldn't tell the difference between retina and non-retina. They are keeping customers in their ecosystem who may have chosen a less expensive android/surface tablet if an iPad air was their only choice.

19. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

20. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

Not for $399. That should be the cost of the iPad 4. This is just a money grab to a ridiculous degree. Only one hundred less for almost three year old tech? There is no way Apple can justify that price and are going after those who don't know any better.

The iPad 2 could likely do fine for people that already own it and see no reason to upgrade yet not to purchase a new one for $399.

21. MLAM macrumors regular

No way they should put the iPad 4 as the "entry" level model from a business point of view as it's nearly what the iPad Air is inside apart from CPU and of course it's weight.

In fact they can't have put any of the old retina models in place as it probably would poach too many potential iPad Air sales despite having older hardware.

Whilst I don't agree with the pricing of the iPad 2, they can't put much else in its place, granted it perhaps should have a spec bump to keep it fresh, maybe "iPad 2s"?

22. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

I know people would like the opinion of an iPad 4 for $399 (likey easy to find as a store really cannot sell it for the same as the iPad 5. If they wish to sell the iPad 2 it really should be a lot cheaper then $399. Even $299 is pushing it.

23. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

They should keep selling it. It means my iPad 2 isn't out of date :D

24. MLAM macrumors regular

I agree, then again if it was at $299 then it would probably take a few more of the iPad mini's sales granted not perhaps as majorly so due to the size differences.

25. salmankhan macrumors member

salmankhan

Well said brother and perfectly put.