Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I’m still running my 2013 MacBook Air 11 inch. I configured it with 8GB RAM, which turned out to be a genius move. I’ll probably upgrade when they make a Mac that size again. But I’m guessing there’ll be an 11 inch iPhone before that happens.
Buying (or adding, in the old days) max available RAM has been a smart choice for almost 40 years now.

Kronsteen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2019
I am very stingy ….

Desktops (dates of purchase);

2008 Mac Pro in fairly regular use until 2016 or so; scrapped last year
2014 Mac Pro still working fine (GPU code prototyping & LINUX VM hosting)

Laptops:

2012 15” retina MBPro very heavily used until dGPU failed in May 2019
2019 16” MBPro still in constant use

I have been very happy with the first three. Slightly less so with the 2019 16“ MBP (Intel, of course), because of how easily it gets hot and spins up the fans. That is perhaps to be expected when pushing the dGPU hard, but it’s a tiny bit unimpressive that fairly light use of Lightroom can have the same effect.

Because of this, I may give in and buy an M3 laptop soon, in which case the four years I’ll have used the 16” will be disappointingly short. But if the (more than likely) M3 machine proves to be reliable, I’ll aim to use it for 5+ years, at a minimum.

My view in a nutshell: no need to replace a machine if it still does what I need it to and it’s reliable and secure. Equally, if some bit of new technology would be useful and is reasonable value, buy it.

(Better not mention my 12 year old, 170,000 mile Volvo, though …. :eek: )

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Dude, my M1 Max fried in August, power AND screen, right in front of me… had no choice but to get a M2 replacement immediately.

Obviously I can’t return it and I’m not gonna take ~$1500 trade in fee to upgrade. I guess I just got unlucky.
Buy AppleCare because any hardware can fail.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
My recent history goes like this, I got the M1 Air just after launch when the reviews came in, to replace my 2017 15" MBP, I intended to keep that 15" for longer, but the AS Macs sideswiped my plans.

Traded the Air for a M1 14" Pro since I really like the screen, the 14" size is just right and of course the better quality and refresh rate, and I somewhat benefit from the extra power for light editing, but to be honest the M1 Air was enough for my personal needs. I intend to keep my current 14" for several more years.

At work (where I'm in a position to make my own decisions around my work IT purchases) I just upgraded my M1 Air to a M2 15" Air, just because of the screen size, and I'm glad I did. Will probably keep my work Mac for at least three years. My original plan was to stick with the M1 Air for several years, but the 15" size changed that.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Buy AppleCare because any hardware can fail.

Yep I basically just factor the cost in as an essential part of the hardware - these machines are essentially all one very expensive unrepairable part these days.

$399 is quite steep for M3-based Macs but it saved me on my M1 Max that got a tiny bit of liquid damage earlier this year.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I usually get a baseline MacBook every 2-3 years, that way the whole system stays relevant and powerful, I don't miss out on newer features, and thru things like trade ins and what not it stays on the cheap side.

I don't even need more power than the M1 it's still beefy for most things I do. Just never got comfortable with this small screen size, I need at least the 14" if not a 16"...and for movies/editing I could use that contrast as well.

iSteveo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
I Just bought a M2 Max, 64 GB ram, 2 TB hard drive this past January. It is my work computer. I bought it with high specs, so that it would still be a very capable machine for many years to come. I do not anticipate upgrading anytime soon. But I do have to say, if enough new technology comes along that makes sense to upgrade, then who knows.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I usually get a baseline MacBook every 2-3 years, that way the whole system stays relevant and powerful, I don't miss out on newer features, and thru things like trade ins and what not it stays on the cheap side.

I don't even need more power than the M1 it's still beefy for most things I do. Just never got comfortable with this small screen size, I need at least the 14" if not a 16"...and for movies/editing I could use that contrast as well.

I'm doing the same, going from 14" M1 Max to 16" M1 Max because I've felt relatively cramped for the last 2 years after being on 15-16" MBPs since as long as I can remember. The 14 is almost perfect especially up against the increased weight of the Apple Silicon 16s but I just feel like my productivity took a hit overall.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
With Apple silicone now available for three years, is it a feasible option to upgrade yearly or maybe every other year? The specs and design upgrades are minimal, so how long do you plan to stick with your current devices before considering an upgrade?
It really depends on what's available. I had a 2016 MBP, then went to the 2019 16" MBP. Then to the M1 Pro as soon as it was available. Now I'm considering an M3 Max because I would like something with a better GPU.

I'm never of the mind of "I need to keep this for x years" and also never of the mind of upgrading annually. I'm going to upgrade exactly when it makes sense to for my use case and workflow. Even a small improvement in that is a reason for me to upgrade.

That said, I am unlikely to keep a Mac longer than 2-3 years because I want maximum value when selling/trading in my previous machine.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I'm planning to keep my 2012 MBP for as long as possible. Silicon isn't in my future, and I like what I can do on my vintage macs. I'll be seeing how long I can keep my macbook repaired instead.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I'm doing the same, going from 14" M1 Max to 16" M1 Max because I've felt relatively cramped for the last 2 years after being on 15-16" MBPs since as long as I can remember. The 14 is almost perfect especially up against the increased weight of the Apple Silicon 16s but I just feel like my productivity took a hit overall.

15" really does seem like the perfect size, sucks they shoved the Air into that spot, makes sense to stack sizes I suppose but just wish the Pros landed there and we had 13/16" Airs and 14/15" Pros...tho not sure the thinness of the Airs could handle that size lol

xRem

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2022
Yeah, I guess that's it for me. I buy something with the "I'll replace it in 2, 3 years mindset". If it turns out that it can last me longer (and my M1 Max MBP would've been good for another couple of years if I hadn't cheapened out on disk space. 64 GB Ram but only the 512 GB disk....), it's all good. But if I notice that there's something significantly better out there after that time frame, I can purchase it with a clean conscience because I planned for it.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Initial several macs each lasted about 4 years.
First 27” imac kept for 8 years but added memory and replaced the hard disk with a SSD.
Current 27” imac is 6 years old but added memory at the 3 year mark performance is still good for photo editing.

Reactions: MacPowerLvr

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just upgraded from Intel after 4.5 years.

I typically kept my Intel machines for 5-6 years but wanted to jump to AS.

I'm planning to keep my M3 Max 16/40 with 64GB RAM until around 2030, so 6-7 years.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
- iPhone: until my SE 3 stops receiving updates, not only iOS updates but security updates as well; unless Apple releases another compact (between 5.4” and 6.1”) phone with an LCD display, which is near impossible. I estimate 8 more years, being optimistic.

- iPad: if the 128GB of my 11” M2 iPad Pro becomes too small for my needs, I’ll try to sell it and get another 11” M2 iPad Pro this time in 256GB. But I don’t plan on getting an OLED iPad, the current LCD screen of the iPad Pro is gorgeous. So another 8 years, being optimistic.

- Mac: I still don’t know if I’ll get a Mac mini or an hypothetical 12” MacBook. I’ll wait one more year, and if Apple doesn’t release a 12” MacBook, I’ll get a Mac mini. If I find a good deal on an M2 Pro Mac mini, great, if not, I’ll probably wait until an M4 Mac mini, because my 2014 Mac mini is still strong with its 1TB SSD running Monterey. Really, it runs surprisingly well for a 2cores/4threads machine with just -yes, just- 8GB of RAM. Once I buy it, either an M2 Pro or an M4 Mac, I expect a minimum of 8 years of service, probably a bit more.

Maybe you think I’m overly optimistic, but 1) I can’t stand OLED displays, 2) I expect a long support out of this expensive machines, because Apple operating systems are traditionally known for the little resources they need, and my machines are/will all be hexa/octa-core with 4GB of RAM for iOS, 8GB of RAM for iPadOS, and at least 16GB (probably 24GB) of RAM for macOS. I mean, it’s not like we’re in the era of the dual cores, and like somebody said on another thread, there’s a limit to code parallelisation to take advantage of all six/eight/twelve CPU cores. So I really expect today’s hardware to last longer.

With all that gear, I expect to be well served until 2030.

Last edited:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
- iPhone: until my SE 3 stops receiving updates, not only iOS updates but security updates as well; unless Apple releases another compact (between 5.4” and 6.1”) phone with an LCD display, which is near impossible. I estimate 8 more years, being optimistic.

- iPad: if the 128GB of my 11” M2 iPad Pro becomes too small for my needs, I’ll try to sell it and get another 11” M2 iPad Pro this time in 256GB. But I don’t plan on getting an OLED iPad, the current LCD screen of the iPad Pro is gorgeous. So another 8 years, being optimistic.

- Mac: I still don’t know if I’ll get a Mac mini or an hypothetical 12” MacBook. I’ll wait one more year, and if Apple doesn’t release a 12” MacBook, I’ll get a Mac mini. If I find a good deal on an M2 Pro Mac mini, great, if not, I’ll probably wait until an M4 Mac mini, because my 2014 Mac mini is still strong with its 1TB SSD running Monterey. Really, it runs surprisingly well for a 2cores/4threads machine with just -yes, just- 8GB of RAM. Once I buy it, either an M2 Pro or an M4 Mac, I expect a minimum of 8 years of service, probably a bit more.

Maybe you think I’m overly optimistic, but 1) I can’t stand OLED displays, 2) I expect a long support out of this expensive machines, because Apple operating systems are traditionally known for the little resources they need, and my machines are/will all be hexa/octa-core with 4GB of RAM for iOS, 8GB of RAM for iPadOS, and at least 16GB (probably 24GB) of RAM for macOS. I mean, it’s not like we’re in the era of the dual cores, and like somebody said on another thread, there’s a limit to code parallelisation to take advantage of all six/eight/twelve CPU cores. So I really expect today’s hardware to last longer.
You should try M2 Air. The screen is more comfortable for eyes than new MBP or previous gen MBA. Some people said, it’s due to lack of PWM.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
You should try M2 Air. The screen is more comfortable for eyes than new MBP or previous gen MBA. Some people said, it’s due to lack of PWM.
Yeah, if there’s a new 12” MacBook, I don’t expect it to have a mini-LED display but rather a regular LCD. And if I finally settle for another Mac mini, I’m strongly considering an Apple Studio Display, although it is expensive…

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I don’t see what yearly model upgrades necessarily have to do with one’s own considerations to upgrade.

I have a 2017 Intel MBP and plan to keep using it until it can’t be used anymore. It is serving me well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17fox

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Work laptops are usually 3 years. Home machines for longer. Upgrading every year seems pointless, just the annoyance of migrating would deter me.
At my institution, my department doesn’t upgrade our machines until they no longer are functioning well or aren’t supported by current OS. Some of us have computers that are over 6 years old.

Hopscotcher

Suspended
Oct 28, 2023
I upgrade every 2 to 3 years. I'll be waiting for the M4 chips. My M1 Air has treated me well, but I'm going with the Max next time.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I plan to keep my incoming M3 Max until the redesign, which I'm guessing is probably going to be the M6 release, hopefully with OLED, 2nm fab, etc.

My one somewhat regret with my 14" M1 Pro was getting the base model. For about a year I also had a 16" M1 Pro supplied by work, and although it was only about 20% faster I definitely noticed it doing similar tasks. As a software dev I remember running a test suite about a dozen times a day that took a minute and a half on the 14" that did a minute ten on the 16". Every time I pulled down and built a new package you could definitely tell it was faster. It made it just a bit more enjoyable to use.

That said, my general rule is getting at least 50% improvement to justify an upgrade. So having the option to get a machine that's literally twice as fast is something I'm very much looking forward to, and I imagine we won't see quite as much of a bump until we're at 2nm. But who knows.

Reactions: souko

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I still have an Intel 2013 iMac for home casual use and my previous laptop was a 2014 MBP, so with my current 2020 M1 MBP I'm hoping to keep it for several years as well.

Reactions: msackey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.