Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Just wondering... To MBA owners:

How long are you planning to keep your MBA before you purchase an upgrade or before you replace it with another laptop?

fk51785

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
South Florida
i plan to use it for 1~2 years.*
i don't need power computer like mbp.
macbooks are nice but i like the small size & light weight of mba.

JasO

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i suppose i'll keep it for quite a while... should be going back to uni next year so it will be pretty good to have then.

I had a macbook pro before (15" version) and honestly I don't miss anything from the macbook pro. The air does everything i need it to =D

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I will probably keep it another year. Most likely what I will do is sell it and buy the next revision once the next revision has been throughly vetted (which I assume will be around this time next year).

I will use the remaining years of my AppleCare to increase its resale value.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Until 3 months after MBA 2nd gen comes out - probably a year from now. Then I'll trade it in for the new one.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I generally keep my notebooks 2 years, and it will probably be the same with the MBA, although I may keep it longer depending on what else Apple come out with.

janph76

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Probably keep it a little while after the new revision comes out than It's off to someone in the family.

Grizzly Adams

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
A couple of years. I really don't see myself forking out $2k every year for a laptop. I guess until it no longer suits my needs.

dudup

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
TBH, I really can't tell. Love this so much that I can imagine using it for 5 years without a problem, as in it current state it delivers everything I need. :cool:

However, if Apple updates this, even minor tweaks, I'm inclined to grab one. :(

The best would be if they don't update it for a looooooong time! ;)

MacBiscuit

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Wow. What a market for Apple to be in... Judging from most of the responses on here, not only do they get to sell a high-margin, relatively under-specced laptop once, they also get to do it again in two years time...

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
of course things change, but provided i dont run into any hardware problems, possibly 3-4 yrs.

all i use it for is to surf the net, chat, store itunes and photos, and watch movies.

my next computer machine will most likley be a imac, and this can be its offsider.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
2 years maybe more - I'll sit out the next revision (unless my damned weak will says otherwise), and if I can add in a 128GB SSD in the next year or so, I may keep it longer. It fills its niche perfectly for me.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Until I'm unable to use my hands or it packs up... so hopefully at least 3 years ;)

It's an awesome machine, it's hard to imagine how anything that comes out within the next few years could be significantly better. But then I went with the SSD, so I was going for longevity from the start anyway.

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
I'll keep it for as long as it still adequately runs the software I use. Of course, this is typically 3 years on average (based on my experience).

This is a fantastic computer -- I see no need to replace it every year.

Olvenskol

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
2-ish years most likely. I usually try to skip one generation between revisions of my laptop. I don't really need anymore functionality from my MBA right now, so I'm in no rush for a successor.

dudup

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
Wow. What a market for Apple to be in... Judging from most of the responses on here, not only do they get to sell a high-margin, relatively under-specced laptop once, they also get to do it again in two years time...

There's a reason for dellrumors or vaiorumors not having so many people hanging around their forums! :cool:

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Till September 2010 if it is unable to handle all the small things I need done in Pharm school. If it can, 4 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.