How long before Apple updates the top navigation design at Apple.com?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by doug in albq, Sep 18, 2013.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

It looks very dated / iOS 6-ish...

2 days?
    2 Weeks?
    2 Months?
    no changes?

exactly what do you think?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Give them time, they aren't quite finished ruining iOS yet. :D

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apple does more than iOS, and, for example, OS X hasn't really change that much as far as visual design.

4. ajiuo macrumors 65816

5. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

iOS 7 rocks...

BTW, my guess is 2 weeks-ish.

----------

Apple does more than iOS? Whoaaaaaaa!

I still think that top navigation will change sometime in the near future...

----------

one can access apple.com with iOS...any version.

6. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Not until next year when they bring flat design to Mac OS.

7. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

Thanks for being the first person to answer my question with a time frame.

Next year meaning 3.5 months from now or next year meaning with the next major OSX update after Mavericks?

The thinking that the design is somehow related to OSX seems odd to me. I have been using Mac's since the 1980's but today the iOS user base dwarfs the OSX user base...and the mobile operating systems seem to be pushing the design envelope more than the desktop OS's

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

The idea is that it's not necessarily directly related to iOS, or even OS X, or anything specific, so because of that the timing on the design change, and what that new design will even be, is kind of up in the air--nothing to really indicate anything one way or another, except maybe to say that it will probably happen somewhat sooner rather than much later given that the current design has been there for some time.

9. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

right, and it should be related to visual design trends in general, which have change much in the last few years and much more in the last few days in the Apple-world.

Keep an eye on that top nav...I bet it changes soon. My goodness, those buttons have gloss and excess shading all over them. They are the epitome of passé design...

10. doug in albq, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

I think I remember reading that article. While Apple did the previous design revision to the top navigation in 2011, the design style is a year or two older, more like 2009. It is a dated look now—especially with Apple's leap forward into today's UI design style with iOS 7.

If you take a close look at Apple's previous iteration of their main navigation, which that blog article shows, it is almost less passé in style than the current version. It has no hard "gloss" (not counting the Apple icon at the very left) and it does have that noticeable bright blue color in its search icon, and bright blues and reds are back strong in iOS 7, especially in text and icons.

Also, read the 3 year old comments in that blog...sums it up.

11. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

and the answer is 1 year minus 1 week...

I knew this was coming some time, as the visual design on the old main navigation was the epitome of the old school.

It is now flat.

www.apple.com