How long before i will be able to get a Powebook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JamesSykes, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. JamesSykes macrumors newbie

    Jan 28, 2005
    The MAC dream is starting to peeve me right off.

    For starters nobody can tell me when they will have new powerbooks available. This is pure BS. They obviously must have an idea when a delivery will come in, they dont magically appear out of nowhere.

    (neither the regent street store or apple online store)

    Another thing, they both tell me to keep trying every day the Regent street store. Well its at least 1 hour waiting time on the phone, and it can be up to an hour to drive there to fight through the london traffic.

    I'm going on holiday soon and i really need a laptop, im even considering buying an ibook.
  2. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

    2A Batterie

    Jun 9, 2004
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    here in the US, the online store say 1-3 days.
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus


    Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Same on the UK store, but as we know, what Apple say, and what they deliver on are two very different things.
  4. JamesSykes thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 28, 2005
    Really considering getting the 14" ibook now because i cant get the 12" powerbook.
  5. tortfeasor macrumors newbie

    Jan 27, 2005
    My local apple store said stock would be in by Wednesday.
  6. JamesSykes thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 28, 2005
    What is apples return policy?

    Im away on friday, would like to buy it to get aquainted and get setup, what if the powerbook was in stock say thursday, would they let me swap and pay the difference?
  7. Applespider macrumors G4


    Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    James - chill a little. I realise you're stressing about getting it before you go on your trip but since nothing you can do will make it get here faster, there's little to gain. It was your choice to wait until the new configuration came out.

    Apple announced it yesterday - it will take a few days for them to get to the UK. Customs, freight schedules all take their toll so it's probably true that the Apple Store aren't sure exactly when they'll arrive - hence saying 'give us a call each day' - I do agree that you can wait a while on the phone which is annoying. It would be better if they could call you.

    It won't take long to get set up and get used to it - so if you don't get it til Thursday, it really shouldn't be too bad. Think of it as something to play with at the airport.

    I'm pretty sure that Apple will charge a 10% restocking fee if you buy an iBook today and then return it on Thursday (opened) for a Powerbook so I'm not sure what you'll gain since you'll have to reload everything again in any case. Use the time to investigate what programs you might want to download from the web (Macstumbler for finding wifi networks, Quicksilver for launching apps, Adium for chatting) and getting them on a CD ready to install when you get your Mac.

    As far as I can see, you have 3 options
    1. Keep your fingers crossed that they arrive by Thursday. Even if you have to call each day, you can do other things while your ear is attached to the receiver waiting.
    2. Try to buy an old PB at a discount from John Lewis, Micro Anvika etc
    3. Buy the iBook for your trip (might be better for travelling since sturdier and better battery life) and sell it afterwards (you may not lose much more than the restocking fee.

    Good luck - enjoy your Mac and your trip.
  8. skp574 macrumors 6502

    Jan 16, 2005
    I went into the Regent Street store today (Tuesday) and one muppet said they had the new PBs in stock. All excited I said I'll take one (then cancel my web order).

    Muppet 1 went off to talk to Muppet 2 who said they won't be into the shop until at least Friday.

    I told them I'll wait patiently for my web order then. I then played in the store for an hour then walked out empty handed.
  9. nosser macrumors regular


    Jan 25, 2005
    Orange County California
    I am in the same boat. I bought a 12" pb on friday before the update but did not open it. Now I 'm waiting for my local apple store to get them in stock. My local store just recieved the new 15" pb but they are not exactly sure when they will recieve the 12".
  10. efoto macrumors 68030

    Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    Well I ordered a 12sd on Monday, all the emails and jazz went through very quickly (obviously) and I have an email from them by Tuesday morning saying that the PB will ship "on or before Feb. 3", the printer on or before Feb.2 (couldn't pass the $100 USD back).

    So far I have been very pleased :D
  11. TheSith macrumors regular

    Nov 17, 2004
    Is this the new model? I just ordered mine today.. am hoping to see it shipped as soon as yours. Neat!
  12. efoto macrumors 68030

    Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    It sure has he** better be :p, yes it is.

    I placed the order as soon as I decided which model to get and I did not change a single thing to the actual laptop itself (someone else is getting a longer leadtime but 'upgraded' to 768 from Apple). I wish you the best, I know I can't wait for mine.

Share This Page