How long before I woul d have to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthewp, Jul 19, 2007.

1. matthewp macrumors member

I've been going round in circles with my decision on whether to buy a MB vs a MPB:

Here's what I know so far:
    1) I WONT be using it for gaming
    2) It must last the rest of my university career (3 years)
    3) If it doesn't quite crack it speed wise, it will annoy me no end!
    4) I prefer the look & size of the MacBook (MacBook pro just not as appealing but still nice)

The laptop will be used mainly for word, also photoshop & some website design.
    I'd jump at a MacBook (if they had upgraded to Santa Rosa with newer X3100 integrated graphics) but i'm hesitant at buying the old CPU with the GMA 950

Here's my main question - if I buy the current MacBook, using just the above programs, will it run beautifully and fast for the rest of my varisty career? I'm worried the next few versions of the Mac OS will require more GPU power and then i'll have wished I'd gone MBP

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Based on number 3 i would definitely get the MBP even though your last question would give an answer on a macbook. In 3 years time the GMA950 will look rather pathetic.

3. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

You should be fine, Leopard should run on anything with a G4+. Apple doesn't try to alienate older computer users. Some of the features might need certain specs but unlike windows they try and include a wide user base. And Leopard should last you through your school career. If anything the Macbook should be fine, as long as your not going to get heavy into photoshop. I know some of my friends at college who were graphic design majors did fine using an iBook.

4. matthewp thread starter macrumors member

However, in 3 years time I will be finished studying and will be able to upgrade to a newer notebook... I just think that as a student I can't justify getting a MPB and spending an extra $500 just because "I want a graphic card that will last longer" when I'm not really wanting to play games...

5. MichaelThomas macrumors member

Get the black macbook then :)

6. Gandhi macrumors regular

Macbook will last you just fine for your needs. just get as much memory you can afford (not from Apple though).