How long before iFixit, Engadget, or someone coats an iPhone 4 antenna?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Jul 19, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

How long do you think it will be till one of these websites makes a sacrificial lamb out of an iPhone 4, takes it apart, coats the antenna with some sort of polymer coating, in order to see if it in fact makes a difference with signal attenuation?

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are already in the process of doing this.

2. fender57 macrumors 6502

You would think someone would have already done this. I mean, some of these sites have done numerous drop tests that destroyed their iPhones, you would think someone would have tried coating the antenna already.

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

If I made a bunch more money than I do, I'd be doing it myself probably. Both for my own benefit, and also just to report to everyone else.

4. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

5. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

This would also let us know how laborious it actually would be to take an iPhone apart, coat the antenna, then put it back together. I mean, I know it's not like replacing batteries in a remote, I'm sure it's a challenge. Even taking apart an iPod Classic is a chore than can ruin the device.

But this would provide clues to whether or not Apple could actually do a "fix" on a case by case basis via AppleCare repair. Drop your phone off, and pick it up the next day, for those that are experiencing a problem.

Not saying this is going to happen, just brainstorming on realistic scenarios.

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

The property of stainless steel makes it so that applying a coating of anything can be difficult.

Hence why stainless steel is...well...stainless.

Not saying it can't be done, but it would be an involved process.

7. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Sort of on this topic (of taking apart the iPhone 4) has anyone yet looked into how you go about dismantling the iPhone 4? Is it based on the two screws that live at the bottom of the unit, or is there more to it than that?

8. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Radio Shack my friend....got mine on friday for less than $30 (tax) on a 3GS trade in...also apple is getting shipments I reserved one on the first and they emailied me saturday but The Shack had taken care of me already

9. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

colorware paints the iphone 4 now, and i think i have heard reports of it fixing the antenna problem

10. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

you've "heard reports". where are these reports? You gotta ask for proof these days. theres a LOT of "reports" floating around that aren't really reports at all.

11. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

This is a non-issue for me and, I believe, most other folks who will carry our iphone 4s in a bumper for protection anyway.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just needs a surface to adhere to, either a chemically bonded coating, or acid etch/sandblast and paint.

13. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Right, and that's great. But this has nothing to do with that. This is about being curious and liking to fiddle and DIY modify stuff. I am very curious about whether or not a polymer or paint coating on the frame would significantly help signal attenation vs NOT doing it. This is purely "just to see if it works". Mostly because people throw around this whole "Apple is secretly going to coat our antennas" stuff. If someone did this experiment, and found that it doesn't really help, it would also assist in putting those types of rumors to bed.

I don't want this thread to turn into a "just get a case" thread, because it's nothing like that at all.

14. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Even just putting an invisible shield on the side works. Cover the antenna, I've been good since. I use a bumper also though. I've taken the bumper off once and still get no dropped bars. The skin covering it works well I suppose.

15. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I saw some guy had used clear nail polish. If you aren't using paint then you will have to use some sort of vapor deposition or powdercoat process. I've tried scotch tape and had no change in performance so, I'm not sure how thick it needs to be to make a difference.

16. weespeed macrumors 6502

17. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I've thought about taking mine apart and apply a light coat of epoxy to the antenna. I just don't know that I have the marbles to go through with it. With a baby due in less than two months I can't spend quite as recklessly as I used to.

18. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

you got the 199 upgrade? so they paid you 170 for your old 3gs?

19. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

20. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

Some of these state that "They are taking advantage of the new iPhone’s antenna problems by promising to not only color your phone, but also remove any problems with the death grip; negating the need for a case." and i wouldnt see why it wouldnt fix the problem, it is putting a coating in-between your skin and the antenna, just like you were talking about.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/colorware-douses-iphone-4-in-double-rainbow-might-just-solve-yo/

http://gizmodo.com/5586322/colorwar...nto-a-potentially-death+grip+resistant-beauty

http://zikkir.net/tech/132599

21. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Until someone actually has a painted colorware iphone 4 in the flesh, it's all just speculation.

22. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

this is true, but explain to me the difference between what Colorware is doing and what the OP was talking about. technically this "coating" has already been done by Colorware and we just need to wait untill someone gets theirs done. so i answered the OP's question about "when someone will put a coating on the antenna".

23. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

24. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

I donot know about the popularity of MacRumors and or if tech editors read through this website..

But, +1 to this proposition. Some tech blog should really try out polymer / insulated coating and test the attenuation.