Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Never because if I had iOS on a $1500 Macbook then :apple: can shove it!

Really? Look at what simplicity can do though. They've barely scratched the surface of what a touch interface can do. The implementation of iMovie was pretty impressive. Now no, it's not a pro level app, but imagine using Logic, Photoshop, Illustrator or Aperture with a gestural interface. I really think it would make way more sense than a mouse and keyboard.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I'll be interested to see iLife on the iPad.

In fact, if apple gets the multitasking down, then maybe.

It is an interesting notion, I think once the Mac turns 30, iOS could easily take over.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Although reading this off of wikipedia:

The Macintosh project started in the late 1970s with Jef Raskin, an Apple employee, who envisioned an easy-to-use, low-cost computer for the average consumer.

I think if he was around to see the iPad (he died in 2005), he may have approved of it in terms of being easy to use.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
"If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is."

[don't panic]

big_towlie_jpg.jpg

He's sitting at home... don't need him today. He's annoyed with me I'm sure... :D

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
When they figure out a better input device than the mouse and keyboard that also works on very high resolution displays. Touchscreen isn't it at the moment because it lacks haptic feedback (aka being able to feel buttons etc). I've read something like that is in development at Nokia at least. Click targets like buttons have to be quite big too compared to desktop computers.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Really? Look at what simplicity can do though. They've barely scratched the surface of what a touch interface can do. The implementation of iMovie was pretty impressive. Now no, it's not a pro level app, but imagine using Logic, Photoshop, Illustrator or Aperture with a gestural interface. I really think it would make way more sense than a mouse and keyboard.

Sorry no, I'd hate to use pro software with inaccurate touch controls. Even more impossible given you cannot operate a touchscreen computer for any real length of time.
I used to work for a company that sold touchscreen computers. They were terrible for desktop use.

The moment Apple drop OSX and give us a locked, walled-garden OS on their real computers is the moment I switch back to PC.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
iOS will dominate the consumer market.
OS X will dominate the professional market.

Wonder if Windows will still be around.

Hehe :)

If MS did spend more time on Vista and didn't release Win7 that quickly, it might have been the case

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Never because if I had iOS on a $1500 Macbook then :apple: can shove it!

Macbook's wont live forever.

Sorry no, I'd hate to use pro software with inaccurate touch controls. Even more impossible given you cannot operate a touchscreen computer for any real length of time.
I used to work for a company that sold touchscreen computers. They were terrible for desktop use.

The moment Apple drop OSX and give us a locked, walled-garden OS on their real computers is the moment I switch back to PC.

With current form factors you are right. But we'll have to wait and see how things change in the future.

-------------------------

I have been thinking about this recently. I definitely think iOS will kill off OS X. When? I don't know. Does anyone know? Probably not. But the end of OS 10.9 would seem a likely candidate. I think we will see the two operating systems merge closer and closer in the coming years.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
...from my cold dead hands Steve........

Attachments

• Intuos2_Ice_Blue_Grip_Pen.jpg
    Intuos2_Ice_Blue_Grip_Pen.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 60

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Don't get me wrong. I would love nothing more than a lightweight tablet like an iPad to use Pro applications while in the car, plane, train etc. Some fast and easy current workspace sync that would move all your files and documents you were working with to your tablet from laptop in a click would be brilliant too.

I just can't see it happening any time soon. It would take actual innovation to really make this a smooth and hassle free experience. Development from Apple is about entertainment consumption now and market expansion. Will be some time in my view before we see enough advances in the industry as a whole for Apple to refocus on Pro users..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see iOS replacing OSX, heck, iOS is based off of OSX.

I do see apple moving to the app store/control everything philosophy and that will include OSX.

Steve's own words at D8 about the apple's direction is that the days of desktop computing are over, and people will be using iPads and such.

That being the case, I see apple putting too much effort and resources into their desktop lines and software. so much so, I seriously doubt that my next computer will be a Mac if apple doesn't update OSX or its apps in a timely fashion.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Seriously... I think this is where we're heading. These two OS's are getting closer in functionality with each release.
This question has been asked before. It has been answered before. MacOS X and the OS now known as iOS are ports of the same code base. The differences lie in the UI. MacOS X is optimized for keyboards and mice and large displays. iOS is optimized for touchscreens and small displays. It makes no sense to replace the OS running a 27" iMac with the OS designed for an iPod touch. So the answer to your question is that iOS will never replace MacOS X.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I don't see iOS replacing OSX, heck, iOS is based off of OSX.
I don't either
I do see apple moving to the app store/control everything philosophy and that will include OSX.
I don't - Jobs already knows that you cannot close that barn door anymore and has outright said that in emails. I think the farthest thing that would happen is that there would be a steam-like client for Apps.

Steve's own words at D8 about the apple's direction is that the days of desktop computing are over, and people will be using iPads and such.
That's not quite what he said though. He did not say that the days of desktop computing are over. He also said that he has no idea of what Apple might be doing 10 years from now either.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
I'm not saying today, I'm not saying tomorrow... but I'm going to stand on my limb and say over 5 years. There's a lot of room for growth over the next 5 years. I think the only thing holding us back from a different type of computing is our pre-concieved notion of what a computer is. Our conventional form of computing is tied to our mouse and keyboard.

Hal Itosis:

I'm slow. The answer is 42.

Dagless said:

You can't really compare old touchscreen/bad tech to current Apple touch screens. We don't know what's coming so how can we compare to that? I to have tried touch screen computers and they are terrible... just TERRIBLE and every time I try them I wonder how they can be so in-acurate on such a large screen in comparison to the iPhone screen. Not to mention the comparison of the iPod/iPhone to the iPad.

Sure, that's your prerogative... but Apple does supply this in the form of the iOS now and look at the rate of consumer adoption. It's funny when you look at all of the "if ____________ then I'm switching back to PC." and compare it to the rate of new users, how many people actually switch back and how much public attention/adoration Apple has right now.

I'm not talking about iOS in it's current form... I'm talking a few years here. None-the-less, I'm planning on trialling this for myself with the current iPad. I'm planning on replacing my MacBook Pro with and iPad for my day-to-day on the go work (not that I would out right give up my Macs).

Apple is already moving away from the mouse at a slow pace... look at the magic mouse... it's half track pad. The cursor while - at this point - is slightly more accurate, touch computing is vastly more efficient in some areas... if you don't believe that... spend more time web browsing with an iPad.

...from my cold dead hands Steve........

Hahaha... yeah, a stylus. I use a tablet in Photoshop and Illustrator too and I couldn't go back to a mouse for that... ever. However, wouldn't you rather an OS where you can use your fingers OR the stylus on the device and not require something outboard?

This question has been asked before. It has been answered before. MacOS X and the OS now known as iOS are ports of the same code base. The differences lie in the UI. MacOS X is optimized for keyboards and mice and large displays. iOS is optimized for touchscreens and small displays. It makes no sense to replace the OS running a 27" iMac with the OS designed for an iPod touch. So the answer to your question is that iOS will never replace MacOS X.

Once again, I didn't say tomorrow... you're assuming the iMac design is going to be around forever. iOS is now being optimized for keyboards as well. Bluetooth keyboards can be attached as well as the dock for the iPad.

Don't get me wrong. I would love nothing more than a lightweight tablet like an iPad to use Pro applications while in the car, plane, train etc. Some fast and easy current workspace sync that would move all your files and documents you were working with to your tablet from laptop in a click would be brilliant too.

I just can't see it happening any time soon. It would take actual innovation to really make this a smooth and hassle free experience. Development from Apple is about entertainment consumption now and market expansion. Will be some time in my view before we see enough advances in the industry as a whole for Apple to refocus on Pro users..

I think Apple is redefining pro as pro is being redefined in the real world. Look at pro audio or pro graphic design. These are things people seek and education for but they're slowly becoming easier for every kid in grade 8 to do. I think every real professional in here should look at their job 10-20 years ago vs now in terms of how tech is used. What was graphic design circa 1990?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
10.7 = iOS 5

Not going to happen. Computers, as they are today, would not function properly with an iOS interface. The whole point of an interface like that of iOS is unitasking. Yes, iOS4 integrates some multitasking features but it is still primarily a unitasking device. For example, I can browse the web and watch a movie at the same time on my computer, or drag text from one app to another.

Maybe if computers get completely revolutionized it could happen, but it's not going to happen by 10.7... the whole point of having a computer is to multitask.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Even though technically the OS is very similar, the functions are completely different between the walled garden of the iPhone/iPad/iPod world, and the open, free-for-all world of the computer world.

Google is trying to blur the lines with their ChromeOS, but they are making one mistake -- there is a blowback to cloud computing, and ChromeOS is completely dependent on accessing Web apps. I'm sure some offline stuff can be done, but without Web access, ChromeOS is almost useless. As a general purpose computer, people don't want to rely on that their Internet connection will be up 100% of the time.

Computers as we know it won't be going away. People have legacy data and even though apps are powerful, they won't be replacing the desktop or the laptop. There is a lot of overlap, especially with the iPad, but I don't see an iPad replacing the need for desktop or laptop anytime soon.

I wonder if we will see a merge between walled gardens and normal apps, perhaps using a hypervisor like the PS3 had until the functionality was pulled. Walled garden apps would occupy one chunk of RAM and such, and legacy stuff would run like before. The advantage of this is that if the legacy partition/VM got infected, it would not compromise the data on the walled garden area. I'm not a fan of walled garden approach, but it does increase security.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Google is trying to blur the lines with their ChromeOS, but they are making one mistake -- there is a blowback to cloud computing, and ChromeOS is completely dependent on accessing Web apps. I'm sure some offline stuff can be done, but without Web access, ChromeOS is almost useless. As a general purpose computer, people don't want to rely on that their Internet connection will be up 100% of the time.

In five years - at the latest! - this is going to be a non-issue. Wireless Internet access will be available everywhere. Why? Because Google and other big Internet players - including Apple - need it, thus they will throw all their might into making it happen.

The Kindle and the iPad/3G-UMTS already have "the Internet built-in", and they are only the most popular non-mobile phone-devices with Internet access. Thousands of gadgets will follow, and they will -all- have mobile Internet access capabilities that do not rely solely on WiFi.

But WiMax and related technologies are also spreading fast, especially in countries that do not have good or much terrestrial connections.

No, the times where you have to worry about your Internet connection will soon be over. The cloud -will- be everywhere, and connecting to it will be simpler than making a (mobile) phone call.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
In five years - at the latest! - ...
Um-m-m-m, no. This is a geek fantasy and pipe dream. Here is my USA state, the vast majority of land is not covered by 3G. We have significant areas that are barely covered by 1G. Most Internet connections in the home are provided by the local cable TV company. The land line phone company may provide DSL Internet service, but it is limited to 5000 meters from the central office. There are other limitations that are not worth the time going into. Then there is the issue of reliability.

If you rely on your Internet connection at school or work, then you are probably OK as far as reliability is concerned. If you rely on a commercial ISP for a connection at home, then it is probably not reliable enough to entrust your data and applications to the Cloud.

The bottomline is that there is no way that today's limitations will be overcome in five years and probably not in ten years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.