How long before jailbreak community blocks iAds? lol

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by samcraig, Apr 8, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

With the gaming network and now iAd, Apple really wants to lock the user in and capitalize from all angles.. good business strategy.

Can't say I'm a "fan" of the iAd concept though

2. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

In theory I like the idea a lot; they seem to be encouraging adverts that people will actually choose to click on instead of ads that annoy you until they burrow into your consciousness. I think the real test for me will be if the panel that starts the ad is animated or makes noise.

3. infosprt macrumors regular

I also wonder if there will be a 'Setting' to turn off ads. If there isn't the ads could be an iPhone killer. Who wants to be distracted by ads when they are composing an email or playing a game?

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Ads exist now on free iPhone apps. All iAd will be doing is offering a way to deliver superior advertisements to customers. If the developer chooses to offer ads on their premium versions as well, that's not something Apple controls. Ultimately, the developer of the applications will decide when/where they'd like the ads to show up.

5. CaliLove310 macrumors newbie

no matter how "cool" looking or whatever "features" these iads have..they are still ads. I'm sure the jaibreaking scene will block these. My Nexus is ad free, one of the advantages of it being rooted. Where the ad would be it just shows a white box. Way better than an ad, imo. So maybe they could implement something like this.

6. infosprt macrumors regular

What about the standard things that come with the iPhone like email, calculator, .... I hope ads don't start popping up on them.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

A good issue was raised in the Q&A which Steve ducked... and that is added bandwidth.

Now on an unlimited data plan this isn't an issue for the user. But the added bandwidth for complex ads like the ones shown WILL be a drain on, for example, ATTs bandwidth.

Additionally - if I'm traveling - and I am on a limited data plan - that's going to eat away at my allotment.

So yes - I do hope there's a way to turn ads off. But I doubt it. Because then everyone would turn them off and iAd would fail.

8. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I think the level of distraction/annoyance is the key point. If the ad 'buttons' in the Apps are simple static images with no music/noise then I wouldn't have a problem with them at all. Especially as I'm getting a free App in exchange.

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

iAd = gimmie a break. I don't like where this is heading. no mention of flash at all huh? I did the math but 2nd day on the pad and realize a lot of my fav sites use it. Even the log-in is flash. :(

10. CaliLove310 macrumors newbie

Engadget has posted this

11:23AM Also, when Steve was asked if there were plans to add Flash or java, his response was a flat: No.

11. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

Yea i'm not happy about it at all...this is going to push me over the edge hopefully Android tablets are out by the time OS 4.0 hits. It surely seems to me the reason he's not allowing flash is because his iAd's use HTML5 and he doesn't want any competition there. It's the whole Google/Apple war getting in the way of the endusers enjoyment (Google's ad's use Flash whereas Apple's use HTML5) :mad:

12. tdream macrumors 65816

Hope so. The only ones excited about this are Apple and developers NOT USERS!

13. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I think you finally need to either accept flash is never going to come out for the iPad/iPhone or find another device.

14. gwangung macrumors 65816

Um, duh?

15. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I don't get the complaints here. Plenty of my apps have ads in it now. It allows many developers to offer free versions of their apps. Now it just allows these developers to create better ads.

Maybe because of this, additional magazine and newspaper companies will find the transition to digital media easier and more profitable. We all win then. I do not think you will be seeing ads all over the place.

16. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Agreed. People are way overreacting. Ads are already in plenty of App Store applications. Apple is just offering another way to place ads in your apps. Ads will not be placed in the built in Applications or throughout the OS as some people seem to think.

17. yyy macrumors regular

I don't think you understand how it works:

Ads = alternative income source for developers = free apps
    Blocked ads = no money for developers = payed apps

18. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

This doesn't make any sense at all. Most of Google's ads appear to be either plain text or static images, these will still show up just fine. Plus there appears to be nothing stopping someone creating their own ads in HTML5 and delivering them through their own ad-framework to either Safari or other Apps.

It is possible that Apple may start rejecting Apps that use an ad-framework other than iAds. That would obviously be a bad thing as it would put the existing ad-frameworks out of business; however I'm not prepared to condemn them until that happens.

19. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

People seem to be under the impression that ads are going to randomly pop up while using your ipad/iphone. This is just for use in 3rd party apps, which already are using another ad platform. Developers need some way to recoup money on free apps, deal with it.