How long before restocking iPad2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cavf88, Mar 11, 2011.

1. cavf88 macrumors newbie

Hey guys do you know how long takes to Apple to restock retail stores with iPad2?

I'm arriving at Orlando on Monday and I really want an iPad2 but I've seen tons of photos of big lines and I'm afraid of not getting one. I'm staying until friday 18th so I have a week to get one!!

Thanks!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Very very unlikely to see anything that quickly. Usually its at least a month or more.

3. ssspinball macrumors 6502

I don't know about that. During the iPhone 4 launch, some of the Apple stores received another shipment the next day.

If anything, it doesn't hurt to call and ask once or twice a day.

4. Jupeman macrumors member

+1 on this. Larger volume stores will have a new shipment in tomorrow (Sat) morning...

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And most likely deliveries each day next week, starting on Monday. If it was like the last launch (I waited till the 3G's started shipping), expect lines each day with them not knowing how many of each they will be getting. You might end up waiting and not getting the one that you want...

6. jordii macrumors regular

A friend owns a huge indie mac shop, and says he doesn't expect further stock for "weeks".

Seems to me apple's just using deliberate scarcity for marketing purposes, but that's my theory, not his (he's not answering further emails tonight; I think he's lying on a couch with an ice pack over his forehead).

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No... I think it is Apple forgetting that it was the indie shops that made what Apple is today....

In my industry, photographic gear, we see the same thing as a "smaller" set of shops.... reality is that the manufacturers want "large" orders - smaller shops can't take the risk....

Meaning that they place an order for 10,000 units for an item they know they can reasonably sell 1,000 for - in order to meet the "demand" - only to be blindsided by the manufacturer and ships all 10,000?

In the end, I doubt that there is not a scarcity of product. One only has to look at the breakdown of the iPad 2 to see dating on the A5 chips of January and February to see how tight the build schedules are for the iPad 2.

The only way around this would have been Apple building and stockpiling iPad 2's since at least November! But given this age of leaks that would have given competitors the ability to try and beat Apple if they could....

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

AGH... I misread your question - I thought you were referring to a refurb iPad2. I think restock might take a week or more since Apple is quoting 2-3 weeks shipping on online orders for iPad2s.