How long before Samsung and other tablets have a reduced bezel like the mini??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I think the reduced bezel in the mini is genius because it makes the device smaller and lighter but still useable by utilizing a virtual bezel.

I can already see the iPad 5 going this route to shave off weight and bulk.

If all the tablet manufacturers start doing the same, can we finally admit that they are all copying Apple? Before the argument was, "Well if you make a tablet it's gonna have a big screen and a bezel so how is that copying?". Well what now?

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

1. Apple has the large bezel on the full sized iPad for a reason.

2. Other tablets already had bezels of similar size of the iPad Mini.

3. Please drop the "copy Apple" moniker. The only reason Apple made a 7" tablet is because other companies did so and were successful. Everyone copies each other. When iOS 5 was released with Notification Center, did you wonder why Apple copied Android?

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No one else will reduce their bezel size. Apples made it illegal worldwide.

If they try, they will be banned, and shut down by the newly formed iPolice.

A Global Force of over 500,000 lazer equipped Apple Humanoids, they will prevent any further copying, innovation, or progress from occurring.

In concert Apple agents, will be attaching everyone's wages for the new & improved iAir they're breathing. And that's just for starters.

4. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

The upcoming Nexus 10 leaks looks bad but I believe it was done on purpose to avoid lawsuits. Apple is the only one allowed to have good looking thin tablets or else you risk getting sued.

5. pcunite macrumors member

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Good thing for Google that Apple existed, in the first place. Good thing for everyone using ARM chips, too. And good thing for Microsoft that Apple existed, while we're at it. Oh speaking of Microsoft, good thing Tim Patterson existed.

7. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Might want to explain to people where the GUI came from, because they probably won't get that joke. :rolleyes:

8. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Really????

9. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Actually, good thing for xerox apple existed. Most people don't know the actual history and just heard the windows fanboy version.

10. doboy macrumors 68000

Other 7" tablets don't need to reduce the bezel size since their screens are 16:9 ratio and can easily hold it with one hand across the width of the device. If iPad mini had the same size bezel as the 9.7" iPad, it'll be much more difficult to hold it with one hand since 4:3 ratio and bigger screen size.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

So a reduced bezel is now genius because apple introduced a product with one?

12. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

The smaller the better, the ultimate goal is zero bezel with screen right to all edges.

13. urkel, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

What a pompous attitude. Android already does use thinner bezels so why claim Apple is starting this trend?

it's sad that you're trying to take a "Hey look at those copycats" position when the iPad Mini is a direct response to 7" Android products.

Just because Apple does something best doesn't mean they did it first. So quit trying to pretend that Apple invented anything new here.

Attached Files:

14. Skika macrumors 68030

No its not. For variety of reasons.

15. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Um that's a phone. iPhone 5 has small bezels too.

Why show a Galaxy phone instead of the Galaxy Tab 7 or 10.1? Oh wait that's right, because it looks like an iPad.

16. Sora macrumors 6502

Sora

I know that - urkel's post fell short of it's intention - mainly because competitors have not developed a tablet (7" or 10") with a narrow bezel.

Lets wait and see how long it takes for others to bring one to market.

17. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

yeah apple the revolutionary copying the 7inch tabs of android

lower screen res, lower memory, no gps, no nfc , unable to make phone calls with 3g version and wont fit in your pocket.

but it has a thinner bezel becuase its ass is too wide as it is. Genius.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Do you work for Gizmodo by any chance? :p

19. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Wait, Apple is making a 7" iPad too, now? And I just pre-ordered the mini! Damn.

20. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

if you think the mini isn't competing for the same market as the 7inch android tabs your deluded.

21. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Wow. What exactly are all these fandroids doing on an iPad forum? Insecure?

I don't think it will take long before Samsung will copy the thin bezel. Hardest part is the software which Samsung isn't that good at. But they'll figure out how to copy it like they copy everything else apple does.

Amazing to see the google play website. Prominent Samsung chrome book made to look like the MacBook Air, along with iPhone wannabe and iPad wannabe. At least Microsoft is trying to be original.

22. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Ah, see. I knew you were just making it up. Because I know Apple would never make a 7" tablet. Those things have serious flaws. ;)

23. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Isn't the bezel intentional?

With the full sized iPad, the bezel ensures that when you are holding it, no part of the screen is covered. With the mini a narrow bezel can be justified because most adult hands can "pinch" the sides of the device without covering the screen.

I'm not saying which I prefer, just stating what I thought was the obvious...

Also no-one can really bitch at Samsung about their bezels. Most of their devices have thin bezels which look really slick. Just because Apple done it with the Mini doesn't make them pioneers.

24. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Genuine question, like which one? I haven't seen a Galaxy Tab with less than a really chunky bezel.

[​IMG]

25. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

"iPad mini intelligently recognises whether your thumb is simply resting on the display or whether you’re intentionally interacting with it."