How long before Skype puts FaceTime under?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jun 7, 2010.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

So FaceTime may be cool.. but for some reason it only works iPhone 4 to iPhone 4.

Why not allow Mac or PC to iPhone 4? Why not allow iPhone 4 to any iPhone?
    Even if the video was only one way, it would be great.

Skype has to be coming out with its own app taking advantage of the cameras.
    UNLESS..... Apple refuses to allow other apps to access the front camera.

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Only the dev working within the APIs to add it to what ever they want.

AT&T is the reason it took so long. Skype via 3G has been available for other phones long before the iPhone got it.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I hope skype is allowed to add video chat to their app. Skype would be useful to me. FaceTime not so much. I don't have much incentive to call my guy friends and see their faces, but I wouldn't mind skyping with my family especially when on vacation.

5. jtara macrumors 65816

Apple says that it is based on open standards, and they intend to start working with standards organizations immediately to make the whole platform open. (I guess that means the particular combination/configuration of the various standards being used.)

Reading between the lines, others should be able to write compatible applications for other platforms.

What is wonderful about this is that it apparently uses your phone number as an identifier. No special account. No sign-up. It just works. Not sure of the details, but this seems consistent with Apple's iTunes philosophy - low user inertia required.