How long before SSD is standard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Aug 5, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

We're all used to the idea of technology, memory, price, and TIME. But how long do you think before you can get a 512 GB SSD for around $200? I'm guessing 2 years, and by that time SSDs will become standard and everyone will be asking around that time what could possibly make Hard drives faster. It would even be perfect to replace your old hard drive instead of buying a new computer, just back up your data and re-install the OS and you practically have a brand new computer. And of course by that time there will be SSDs that surpass the current Intel ones.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The final bottleneck is still ODDs, so I don't see the point of SSDs standard until people realize that we don't want ANY spinning disk media at all.

3. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

What exactly are ODDs? A google search didn't really get me what I wanted.

4. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Optical Disk Drives, but I honestly don't see what one has to do with the other (SSD's and ODD's) aside from their physical similarities.

It's going to be a long time until SSD's are standard. They don't offer the storage necessary for many buyers and are prohibitively expensive. They mainly work well as a fast boot or scratch drive. It will become more common in performance-oriented systems and workstations in the coming years, but I see it being even longer before it can be referred to as standard. SSD's are best suited to systems where a hard drive can be installed in addition to the SSD, for storage of videos, music, and other large files that don't need to be constantly manipulated.

6. darkdream macrumors member

it will be longer than 2 years... right now its not critical for ssd just a convenience

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

in 2030 50tb will be a joke...by then nano technology will have taken off and terminators will roam the earth....

thank god i preordered my t1000.....summer glau edition

9. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I think the simple answer is when SSDs become cost-effective. Not until they are roughly equivalent in price will they replace traditional HDDs. Although the performance gains are worth it for many power users, they are simply still too expensive to justify implementing them as a new standard at this point in time.

As with all technology, it will improve over time as well as become much cheaper as manufacturing techniques improve and raw materials become cheaper and more available.

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Last I heard, a 512 GB SSD was around $1000. For that price, I could buy at least 10 TB.

For me, SSDs aren't worth it. I think when the next version of SATA comes out, SSDs will more effective.

11. antskip macrumors regular

SSD's will be "standard" when the base configuration for run-of-the-mill notebooks will be for an SSD, not a HDD. That will be when the price point is at the level of what HDD's are now, plus when the "standard" SSD stores 250GB or more.

But why wait for the crowd? WUXGA screens are not yet "standard", and yet I have used them for 10 years now, and couldn't imagine a lower res screen, they are so much finer than "standard" screen resolutions.

You can buy a reasonably sized SSD (120-160GB) now for around 3X the price of a "standard" (250-500GB?) HDD. For the enormous difference a modern SSD makes to any system, old or new, that to me is not so terrible. Some technologies quickly become one's own "standard".

I found the same thing with LCD's replacing CRT's on desktops - they became "standard" two years or so later than most well-informed computer users had made it their "standard".:)

12. adamk77 macrumors 6502

My guess is that in about 3 years, it'll start seeing more mainstream use.

13. justit macrumors 6502a

When? When Apple buys up 40% of the global SSD inventory like it did with iPod/iPhone memory.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

A tad, 7200 RPM isn't even close to standard on even Pro machines.