How Long Before the Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CosmoHunter, Nov 11, 2010.

  1. CosmoHunter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2010
    #1
    I want ato get rid of my Dell and get a new Macbook Pro, now, but I'm nervous about the upcoming updates. Any guesses on how soon a new Macbook may come out? :confused:

    Christmas or January 2011 perhaps? If so, I can wait.. :apple:
     
  2. CosmoHunter, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

    CosmoHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2010
    #3
    Thanks GGJ! ;)

    I also wanted to add that I saw a good deal on a Macbook Pro "13 - brand new from an Apple Reseller for $999.. a $200 discount. Hard to miss out on it, but it also makes me think an update is looming, so I'm skiddish.. :confused:
     
  3. 93BlackSVT macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    #4
    I was in the same boat, but in the end, figured with technology the way it is, there will always be something that comes out within a few months that will be better so I just took the plunge...and am not regretting it at all :)
     
  4. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #5
    no one outside of apple knows for sure and they aren't talking. Pretty sure it won't be until January since they don't want to mess up christmas sales. More likely March.
     
  5. portakabin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Location:
    Between Manchester & London, UK
    #6
    Exactly, if you judge whether or not to buy a current revision notebook on what benefits will be brought in the next, you will never buy a notebook!
     
  6. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #7
    To help your skittishness, if you're talking about Microcenter I believe they've been doing that deal on and off for quite some time. I don't believe it is a recent thing.

    Way I figure, if you pick one up at that price and resell it in a few months when something new comes out and has had a couple months on the market to shake out the initial bugs, you likely won't take much of a loss. Even if you sell it for $800 in five months you'd have lost what, $50 per month? Thats less than my cable TV bill and I'm on about the lowest tier plan.
     
  7. CosmoHunter, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

    CosmoHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2010
    #8
    Deedawg,

    Yup, I was talking about MicroCenter. Thanks for the heads up and you make some great points. It's the first time I've walked into MicroCenter and it won't be the last. :)

    Old-wiz,

    Y'know, March or April doesn't sound like a bad estimate.. Thanks. :)
     
  8. CosmoHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2010
    #9
    93BlackSVT,

    It's very tempting, indeed. Sounds like you got an awesome unit with the i7 processor - very cool!

    Portakabin,

    Good point, but I'd hate to get one a couple of months before the next big update. Ugh. That would kill me, lol.
     
  9. Blueruin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2010
    #10
    I got my last one two months before the last update. Luckily it wasn't a huge update and I'd added a few custom options on to mine to bring it closer to what the newer ones ended up being like.

    Nine months later, I've spilled a drink all over it and it looks like I might have to buy a new one soon with uni deadlines looming. It's that or spend all my time on the nice, slow windows computers on campus. I've been wondering when the next update would be too, especially with Lion coming out and rumours of new graphics processors etc.
     
  10. Built macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #11
    Just picked one up at Best Buy using the price match guarantee with the Microcenter ad. (I wanted the Reward Zone points).

    $999 is a good deal, and the way I figure it, I am getting a hell of a lot more computer (for less money) than the 2007-vintage Macbook it's replacing.
     
  11. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

    1BadMac

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #12
    And if you are a silver member at Best Buy, you also enjoy 45 day extended return policies with no restock fee, which is awesome when it comes to computers and other items that usually carry this fee.
     
  12. Gen, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

    Gen macrumors 6502a

    Gen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    #13
    They're done updating anything else for this year.
    Notebook line, I'd imagine, should get updated sometime in February(?)
     
  13. deeesea, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

    deeesea macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2010
    #14
    It'll be here in exactly 124 days, trust me, I'm steve jobs.
     
  14. iamrawr macrumors 6502

    iamrawr

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #15
    im gonna take a guess and wait until a little after new years, or during the holidays if you like sales. if no update seems to be coming up then you can go buy yourself one. i dont think there will be major updates to the mbp until later 2011 if you can wait that long.

    buy at your own risk :p good luck
     
  15. Built macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #16
    Yup...That 45 day return policy is awesome!...Been a Silver member since they added it to the Reward Zone program a few years ago. Already qualified for 2011-2012 Silver status back in June. I make good use of the perks of the program. Earlier in the Summer I was able to get my iPad 64GB 3G for only about 300 bucks because of my Reward Zone coupons.

    I've also built up some great contacts in Best Buy corporate as a result of a small problem I had with one of the stores. I will say that they have been very responsive.

    I know some people don't like Best Buy. but I remain a loyal customer.

    BTW, they handled the price match with Microcenter at the Best Buy store I went to efficiently and courteously.
     
  16. urfankhaliq macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    #17
    Go for it!

    I did the same, unless you think the current MBP is not beefy enough for you and you need something more powerful then I would suggest just go for it. Even if you wait for the new one, (whenever that is) its only a matter of 8-12 months and itll be outdated again! lol
     
  17. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #18
    You make a good point that tends to get lost in the fervor over "the next great thing."

    If today's offering will meet your needs well, then it will continue to meet those needs well until they change. Trying to compare against an unknown future release is sort of pointless as there's no information with which to make a rational decision.

    In the very worst case, say a new release comes out and you decide it really would make a difference; if/when that happens, compare the cost of upgrading (price of new system vs what you'd get selling your used system) and decide if the upgrade is worth it. If you figure $50/month cost of ownership over eight or ten months, that gives you a lot of attitude on anything but the top end system. How many of us spend twice that a month on our phone or cable bills? Heck, you'd spend twice that on one dinner & movie with your significant other each month.

    It's so easy to get wrapped up in the what-if's that I think we lose perspective.
     
  18. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

    jvmxtra

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    #19
    Love this site first of all!

    I too am also waiting for the refresh. Currently, I am just drooling over my wife's macbook but I am going to wait for update to see if 13 inch gets screen refresh; if it does, I am going for 13 inch regardless of cpu bump. If not, I will have to go for 15 high res(but I prefer not to).
    I love the 13 inch mba's res but want something bit more powerful.

    If it loses the super drive as well and make it bit thinner and lighter, that will be ok too.

    But all in all, I am going to wait till next refresh to see what apple has to offer; and I really really hope for feb refresh not april.

    thanks guys!!
     
  19. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

    mongoos150

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    #20
    Apple definitely won't update anything before next year, and when it is bumped next spring, it'll likely be a spec/speed bump. Honestly, just buy the computer now and be happy.

    If something IS released that you absolutely need, sell the machine on eBay for 90% of what you paid, and get the new one.
     
  20. spmiz12 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    #21
    Just bought my 13" MacBook Pro from B&H, I and no where close to a microcenter at that $999 is only for in-store pick-up; anyways, B&H matched MacMall and gave me free overnight for $1114.50 ........ Not Bad.

    Also, B&H has extended returns until middle January.....
     

Share This Page