how long before we can unlock the new baseband?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ansabakhan, Oct 14, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

as many people did i also upgraded my phone to 4.1 by mistake and upgraded to new baseband.. i was wondering usually how long does it take for dev team to update ultrasn0w , do we know how long will be the wait ?

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No one knows.

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i m trying to know who has it been in past ? after a jailbreak is out , how long is usually the wait for unlock ?

4. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

my guess is it won't be released till after 4.2 in nov

5. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

If you never want to wait for an unlock longer than its imminent release,

Get an iPhone on launch day. And never update anything until the developing team has done work to it. On 4.1 and 1.59.00 unlocked in Europe right now, works great.

I made the mistake of swapping phones (not really because the LCD was caked in dust and battery didnt hold a charge) so I went from a launch day phone to a new bootrom 3GS and had to wait for Spirit 3.1.3 and eventually the unlock.

This isn't really helpful. But I learned the hard way last time.

Keep it in mind for iPhone 5 :)

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I understood your question. The issue is finding an exploit in the new modem firmware. There's no way to predict how long that will take. The fact it took them x weeks the last time is all but useless in predicting the future. It could be less time or more time.

I am sure the developers look to see if the same exploit is available in the new code, if it is, great. If it is not, and they don't know of any others, they start over. It's also a function of how good the developer is compared to the last person.

There's no particular need to wait for 4.2 either. They could start working on the current firmware and tell people to not upgrade their modem firmware when they install 4.2 if they want to unlock, although as this thread reveals, people don't listen.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

We all understood your question, but "no one knows" is actually the best answer, Breaking a new baseband is not an easy task. Based on the past, it can take anywhere from a couple of months to never (which is pretty much the same as saying "no one knows"). There is a good (and I really mean a "good") chance that the Baseband is NOT unlockable, so maybe the next revision have more bugs and it could be unlock.

8. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks a lot for the replies guys .. so if they find it in 4.1 we will see the unlock sooner .. else just wait..

some thread i read some one said 3rd week of oct .. that got my hopes up ! :(