How long before we see the non-removable battery in all laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yetanotherdave, Jan 17, 2009.

1. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I think we've got one or two revisions of the 15" MBP this year. I don't think there's any question that 2009 will see the 15" get a non removable battery, and there's core i7 coming out. Apple don't like to update too many features at once, so they may split this with a slight speed bump with the new battery, followed by the i7 a few months later.
    I imagine a nopn glossy option will follow at some point for the 15" depending on 17" sales, it probably wont happen for the 13", but I guess that will get the new battery early 2010.

An exciting year for prospective MBP buyers. I'm saving at the moment, I want to wait for at least snow leopard and core i7. I would like the new battery, but I don't want to get stuck in the endless cycle of wating for xyz feature.
    Decisions decisions. What are your MBP/MB predictions for the next revision or two?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There should be a speed bump in late spring/early summer on the notebook line.

We could see it in both the 15" and the 13" then.

Nehalem will be no earlier than October. Core i7 is a desktop chip.

3. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

At the moment, I thought core i7 was the name for the entire generation of chip, like core2duo has been for the last few years, with Nehalem being it's working codename?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Maybe, but at the moment, they've only given the desktop enthusiast chip an official name.

Core i6 and Core i5 are flying around, but we know nothing about these.

So until they name the entire Nehalem line Core i7–IF they do so at all–just say Nehalem unless you know the chip's name itself (Gainestown for the Mac Pro, Clarksfield for every other computer that Apple sells).

5. maestrocasa macrumors regular

It won't be long. While there may be a bit of a convenience loss, the reduced weight, improved battery life, and custom configurable shape of the new batteries will take over.

it's exciting to me to think about what that might mean for other devices that need large storage in confined spaces, especially alternative energy applications and hybrid/electric vehicle applications.

Batteries are still the weakest link in our attempt to break free from fossil fuels. Improved batteries could change everything.

Thank you Apple for once again being on the front edge of changing the world!

(or am I reading too much into a laptop battery????):p

6. svndmvn Guest

I say speed bumps since Intel kinda has them ready, in the 2Q, at least for Macbooks, Macbook Pros could be a couple of months late on that.
    And does anyone know if they'd have to change the unibody structure for the battery thing or is it just a cover thing? Either way, I suppose we'd get the non removable battery with quad-cores, don't know at all about Macbooks, but I suppose late 09 or early '10 for Pros. It all depends on how people react to the 17" thing right now, given the matte option, all that could keep people back from buying would be the battery, I guess.