How long Before you can return and switch colors?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gr81mgbgt, Jul 9, 2009.

1. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

How long do you have to swap iPhone to a different color? Same amount of storage, Either at Best Buy, Or Apple,
    black 3GS to white 3GS for example.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You can return it in the 30 day return window. If you bought it at Best Buy or ATT I know you have to pay a 10% restocking fee. Not sure about Apple, but I think its after 14 days but before 30, you have to pay the restocking fee. Before 14 days you dont have to pay it. Then you can rebuy it. They probably wont be too thrilled, but you can do it. (So if your got the 16GB your restocking fee would be 20$ FYI).

After the 30 day window? Nope.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the OP is on the hook for the restocking fee regardless of where he bought it.

I'd say keep your current iPhone, most people their phones in the case so the color was immaterial

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you are going to buy an expensive item (such as an iPhone), and you only have to choose between 2 colors, I would think you would have put a litlle more thought into your choice BEFORE the purchase. Yes, you will have a restock fee to cover losses in packaging, shipping, etc. And now your perfectly good iPhone cannot be sold as new.

Care to consider a case? Then you can have ANY color you want and chance at ANY time for $15-$30!

5. MacSTi macrumors newbie

If you bought it from Apple, you have 30 days with no restocking fee. 3rd Parties I cannot speak to. :apple:

6. guitarchordz macrumors newbie

I don't have an Apple store near by and the AT&T stores where I live at are all out of stock and they said it will take a week or two before they can get any iPhones in the stores.

So, I went ahead and ordered mine online from AT&T...it should ship to me in a few days...faster than if I ordered in in store.

I'm not worried about switching my color (I ordered a White one), but, If I find some defect in the iPhone, like cracks or not stuff not working properly, how can I return it to get a new one?

Any thoughts?

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Can I get an A-MEN!?!

Seriously. Would you buy a car and then think it was cool to bring it back because you wanted it in a different color now?

And for the latest poster who is already deciding that his phone might have defect. Here's a novel thought. Why don't you wait to see when/if it does before figuring out a way to return it.

I can't figure out if people are really anal, OCD, have commitment issues or something else entirely.

FYI - I have, what I consider a perfect new 3GS. Its black, no cracks, no tripped water sensor or cracked glass, it has a screen protector and silicon case on it and there's no yellowing of the screen either. AMAZING! I must have the only one!

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Samcraig, you make sense, but you're viewing this thread with common sense guiding your opinion.

Some look at it from an emotional point of view.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, although Apple typically temporarily waives restock fees right after a product launch, their normal policy *is* to charge a restock fee for the iPhone. So if anyone is reading this thread more than a month or so after launch, I wouldn't expect to be able to return w/o a restock fee.

10. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Hey at least someone out there is getting a nice refurb!

11. guitarchordz macrumors newbie

@SamCraig -- Well said.
    Well, I'm actually not really *deciding* that it will be defected. I'm hoping it will be all good. Its just that lately I've been reading a lot about all kinds of problems people have been facing with the new 3GS - cracks on the phone, discoloration, loose buttons, yellow screen, e.t.c!!! I'm hoping I don't have such problems...and so was just being prepared with what to do in case I did.

Anywayz, I'll hope for the best and lets see how it goes!

12. alldat macrumors regular

Someone told me that they went in to get a new iphone 3gs (current one was having problems) and they went from a white to a black no problems.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

The "problem" is that you're reading message boards like this and basing the 1 million iPhones that were sold on a handfull (yes I said it) of complaints from die-hards vs the teaming thousands who are enjoying their device problem free. Not to say that there are no real issues popping up. But one should have perspective. "Consider the source". And the fact that most of the general populi who have the phone and/or the ones happy with it are less likely to post.

14. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

Samcraig, simply put, ur just a lover of corporate wealth, ur always in favor of the corporation and never see anyones point of view as their own personal opinion and choices.

Sam, just like ur love affair with shafting people on tripped overly sensitve water sensors the same rules apply here. A policy is a policy. Apple says, so does AT&T, that you may return the phone FOR ANY reason within 90 days. Guess what, he bought one color and decided he wanted the other one! He has every right to return it (and pay restocking) to get the color he wants!

I mean give people a break man! If there's any discussion regarding policies or morals around here your sure to chime in and beat down the little guy. Come on down off ur horse. If anyones anal around here it's you!

Have a nice day!

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Hardly. You don't know me (at all). Maybe that's your perception.

Regardless - consumers that use and abuse the system ruin it for the legitimate problems other consumers have.

Many huge retail and specialty stores used to have very liberal return policies and now they are strict, if not stricter than others. Why? Because people abused the policy.

Just because you CAN return the phone as many times as you like within 90 days doesn't mean you should or that you're not being a jackass.

I don't need to get off my horse. If it appears I'm looking down on you - than perhaps that's the small part of your brain which still has a conscious telling you that deep inside you know how wrong it is to go back to the store after buying something and returning it because you didn't think through your color preference.

Give ME a break!

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

[​IMG]

17. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

My phone has a tilted home button and really want to switch colors. If I just want a new color should I bring the box and everything or just my phone?

18. guitarchordz macrumors newbie

LoL!
    Good one! Cooled down the atmosphere here...I hope!