How Long Can a MBA Sustain Turbo Boost?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by echosystm, Jun 13, 2013.

1. echosystm macrumors newbie

Hi

Under typical room temperature conditions, how long could an MBA sustain Turbo Boost if both cores were being hit 100%? I can't seem to find test results for this anywhere.

I'm trying to gauge the performance of MBAs, but GeekBench scores are virtually useless; the tests only run for about a minute, which is not long enough to see how the machine performs over time.

Thanks

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I have done some testing on this on a 2011 MBA and turbo boost throttles back down once it reaches around 90 degrees C on the CPU core. Then it moves up a little bit and moves down in a repeating pattern

3. echosystm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. How long did it take to hit 90 though? Were you definitely hitting both cores at 100% and how were you doing so?

4. theSeb, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Both cores were hitting 100% - load was sustained using both Handbrake encoding a BR mkv rip and using the command line

Code:
    yes > /dev/null
    (obviously you need to run at least two of these to hit the load on both cores)

It hits 90 pretty quickly, but I cannot tell you how long because I did this a while ago and I honestly don't remember. Perhaps a minute of sustained load?

I also monitored the turbo boost during a Geekbench test and you're right that it is useless. Even running it over and over temperatures never went up and Turbo boost never throttled. I remember taking screenshots of all of this, but I am not sure where they are. I'll check on the MBA when I get home tomorrow. I actually did all of this to write an article, but I could only monitor the turbo boost on the MBA and I was trying to do it on the rMBP. Unfortunately using the same techniques resulted in kernel panics on the rMBP so I binned the article.