How long can i wait to use migration assistant

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ert3, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I am moving from my powerbook G4 (leopard) to a Mac Book Pro (probubly from amazon.com)

The issue is that the one from amazon.com has allot of pre-packed software and the one from the apple store has iLife 08.

I have Mac Office 2008, iWork 08, and iLife 08.

The amazon.com one has Mac Office 2004 trial, iWork 06 trial, and iLife 06.

I am not sure about the iSuites but i know i can only have one edition of office on a mac at any given time.

Would i be able to First remove any prepackaged crap then replace it with my own or am i supposed to use it before i make changes to my new mac.

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

To answer your question, yes, you could remove any pre-installed software and replace it using the Migration Assistant. For that matter, these are nothing more than trial editions, so they will expire after a period of time or number of uses. Removing them won't affect anything.

There are some people out there who, when purchasing a new Mac, will immediately blow everything away and do a clean install, deselecting things like additional languages and fonts in the process to cut down on disk usage.

MacDann

3. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I am absolutely floored that Amazon.com is still selling Macs that have the '06 iLife suite and Office '04 on them. Is it a new computer or did you get it pre-owned through Amazon? If it's new, something about that seems weird to me.