Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
We are expecting iOS to remain in Beta ti'll about a week prior to new hardware release. But is WatchOS going to follow iOS? Do we have any indication?

Also do we know when Apple is going to start admitting native apps for the Watch?

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Seems like an unnecessarily long wait to release it with iOS 9. The operating system isn't nearly as complex and I can't imagine it will require as many beta releases.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Seems like an unnecessarily long wait to release it with iOS 9. The operating system isn't nearly as complex and I can't imagine it will require as many beta releases.

The developer beta at the moment requires iOS 9, so it seems a pretty safe bet the GM will require it too.

Also, Apple's website say it will be coming this Autumn.

Reactions: arminta7

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
iOS 8 was released on Sept 17 of last year. I fully expect iOS 9 and WatchOS 2 to be released simultaneously on or around the same time this year. Maybe a week or two earlier since it seems like they are off to a stronger start. But not sooner than that.

iOS and WatchOS are joined at the hip given how they function, and the best optimization happens by developing the two together. There's no way in my mind that WatchOS will be released before iOS 9. One will be required for the other.

Reactions: Night Spring

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008

It's much more complex than you think. A lot happens in the background particularly with respect to intense power management, communications with the phone, and security. Remember you can buy things with your watch. They have to test the heck out of it before release.

Reactions: Night Spring

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
Sounds like lots of problems to me. People complaining that battery lasts about 1/2 the 18 hours Apple claims. I get 40. Do I want to go too 10. NO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.