How long can you keep your iPhone and not activate it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 9, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I want to pre-order my iPhone but wait to activate it until my VZW contract expires. How long can you keep your iPhone and not activate it? I wonder if anyone would know.

2. The General macrumors 601

You can't get one and not have a 2 year contract. You can leave it unactivated for a million years, but you'll have started your contract. If I were you, I'd just wait until your Verizon contract is up to port your existing number over. How long is it until your Verizon contract is up?

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

They won't let you leave the store until it's activated.

4. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

My Verizon contract will expire early July and I was thinking ordering iPhone online and activate it myself.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

You can if you pay the "no-commitment" $599/$699. Just say it's a gift for someone.

6. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

No, I will sign the 2-year contract. I just want to order an iPhone online and receive it via FedEx beforehand, then, activate it on the day my Verizon contract expires. But, if my 2-year contract starts on the day I purchase it online, there is no point of buying it early.

7. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

As far as I know, you activate it through iTunes once you receive it, at least buying through buyiphone.apple.com. They aren't going to activate a phone that's shipping through the mail, cutting off your other phone in the meantime.

I could be wrong, of course. Trying calling 1-800-MY-APPLE in the morning.

8. The General macrumors 601

Yeah, definitely just port the number over once your Verizon contact expires. That's what I'd do.