How long did it take learn to learn touch keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by froghat, Oct 23, 2008.

1. froghat macrumors newbie

I wanna buy an Iphone, but I'm nervous about the tiny touch keyboard? How long did it take you to get used it? Does it take forever to type?

2. ajpak macrumors member

first day i got my 1st gen iphone back in the day I got used to it that day.... I have skinny fingers though! now i got my 3g 16gb iphone and im a pro at texting no one can stop meeeeeeee!!!!!!

3. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

It just takes you a few days to get used to it. You pretty much have to forget about hitting the correct 'key' since you're bound to make many mistakes but the iPhone autocorrects it into the correct word 98% of the time, for me at least.

Don't worry, once you get the hang of it it's not a huge deal anymore and it's quite convenient.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'd say about the same thing. It's just a different mode from a "real" keyboard, and you just have to train your brain that you can't type 80 wpm on a portable device. But I can type fast enough and accurate enough for most everything you need on an iPhone.

In short, I don't think it's that big of an adjustment. You just have to practice for a day or two.

5. Jam03 macrumors newbie

Two, maybe three hours max, I find it very hard to send a text from my mum's phone now which has buttons lol

6. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

I've got fat fingers and even I prefer it to a physical keyboard now*

*one exception - harder to text while driving!!!!:eek::eek:

7. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

unfortuunTely I stillk haven't masterred it anfive had the phone since day 1. But I loverhe phone otherwise so I am drill trying to get used to it. Just to compare I licked up my oldtreo last week to do
    Pare the pbysicL keyboard to my iPhone and I beiwvw I was able foryps beffed on the trek which had me sscond guessing a blackberry but I'm keepinnf my phone foe now to see if I can get more used to if.
    Btw I've types this post on my phOne without correectinf my typing and this is how I usually do. Lol. Unfortun rely not very edffeicient but luckily I don't ups too many emails or texts

8. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

For the first two months, I only used one finger. Then one day, I saw someone typing really fast with two thumbs, so I decided to try it. The key is to open a blank notepad and just type away and do not worry about what keys you intended to hit versus what registered. The auto-correct will fix that. At the end of the paragraph, you will be amazed at how accurate the auto-correct is. It only took me about one to two days to become comfortable with tying with my thumbs. (FYI: I was very hesitant at first to type with my thumbs until someone told me to ignore what keys I "accidentally" hit and just let the auto-correct take care of it)
    :)

(the person who commented above me obviously has the auto-correct turned off. Also, that person needs to focus for a day or two on hitting the space bar while typing until it becomes a habit)

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about big thumbs ... until they try it and get in the habit. Then they love it. As far as texting and driving ... I personally know two different people that got into serious accidents while texting. So for me, it's "too close to home" and I will never text while driving. It's a quick way to end up dead. And it totally isn't worth it. Just pull over, or use the speaker phone or a headset.

9. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I don't think you canturn off auto correct can you? I admdit that I just need more practice because I don't really type much on my phone. So fir someone that types alot of emails or texts might findit much easier to which also answers the OPs question. If you type alot it will get easier i'm sure.

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

there's an easy answer to that one...

11. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Go to an Apple store and play with one for 15 minutes and you'll be fine.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I really like the keyboard and I can type quick enough that it is not an issue for me.

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'd say it took me about 45 minutes to feel comfortable using it. The key is to trust autocorrect so you're not constantly backspacing to fix one letter in a word.

14. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

I've been using it since July.
    IMHO, it's not nearly as fast, easy to use or as accurate as the hard keyboard on my treo. Not being able to turn of spell correct is a major hassle. If you have big fingers, the problem is amplified.

15. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

its pretty easy to use and get used too..
    im pretty quick too... i just mess the word ''tutions'' everytime :eek:

using any other phone's keyboard is now nearly uncomfortable ;)

16. GreenLightJerky macrumors member

Took me about 3 days to really master it.
    Now im typing faster than on any other phone ever!
    Its really great when you finally get it down.

17. firewood macrumors 604

Had my iPhone for 3 months, but am still faster on the keyboard on my Palm Treo, while using both about equally.

18. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Learned to type on the iPhone's keyboard almost instantly. Still i wish we could use the landscape keyboard in mail and sms.

19. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

For me, In about two hours, i mastered it completely. I have to turn off the auto-correct, because I text in Spanish, so it doesn't help me much :p. But I can type faster than when I had a crackberry. It's just getting used to typing with the thumbs, and not relying on the auto-correct. You'll get the hang of it really quick

20. mutantblack macrumors regular

took me a day to txt with 2 thumbs. Now I am getting faster and faster.

21. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I quickly realized I can type faster on my iphone than my tilt. I never have to repress a key for failure to register. It's a bit like the difference between playing a synthesizer vs. a real piano. BTW, I use pointer and index fingers to type on the iphone, even though I use thumbs on the tilt.

22. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

if you had a crackberry and were completely addicted to using the physical keyboard, it might take you some time (weeks or so) to get used to the touch keyboard on the iPhone. However, if you have never used a keyboard on a phone before, then you should not have many problems with picking it up. I have had my 1st gen iPhone since the price drop, and ive noticed over the past few weeks that i completely "touch type" with my thumbs now. i dont even look to see what keys are being pressed, i have gotten used to the location of the keys and the auto-correct. i dont know how long i have been doing that, at some point i guess it became second nature. and in reality, after a couple days of use, i stopped thinking about it and just started typing.

23. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

It took a couple of days to get used to it. And each day after that I got faster.

I used to text with my old phone. Now I can text and write emails.

It's all about trusting the keyboard because it fixes common mistakes, so you don't have to keep backspacing and re-typing.

BTW, check out the iPhone guided tour. Skip to the part about the keyboard or just watch the whole thing.

24. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

As a former Blackberry user I was very hesitant to get an iPhone before of the keyboard.. When I tried out a friends iPhone initially I didn't like it at all... When I finally made the switch (I initially had a Touch) I got used to it very quickly (thanks to Auto-Correct!) Its not perfect, I'd still prefer a physical keyboard sometimes but the iPhone keyboard is really easy to use.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440