How long did it take to update?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aml216, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    going on an hour for me and not even halfway done... Is this the norm?

2. inaroundroom macrumors newbie

Mines 1hr in, status bar shows 25% in the iPhone App and it still is saying 3hrs remaining..

3. ToverT macrumors member

I updated mine around 10:30 AM PST today. Total of everything was about 1.75 hrs before it was ready to use. I was on my Home network. Everything seems to be working just fine.

4. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

It took approximately 2 hours to download for me, plus another 15-20min for the installation. This isn't the most convenient, but if you don't need to use your phone, I'd recommend leaving it alone while it downloads. My phone was downloading the update faster whenever I wasn't using it...

5. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

Yep thanks everyone. Just wanted to make sure. I'll start making dinner in the meantime!

6. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Mine is stuck at ca 30% saying '21 minutes remaining' for three hours now... With everything connected as it should be. I guess I'll just hope for it to be done by morning.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

I updated around 7pm GMT and it took 20 minutes to download. The actual updating took around 45 minutes although I didn't actually time it.

8. shacky macrumors regular

shacky

Took 2 hours mid-afternoon EDT. SLOOOOW download!

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I may have lucked out, but it took me 45 to 55 minutes.

10. ggsmith9 macrumors newbie

This update has been crap. 1 1/2 hours to download to the phone, then 1 hour to the watch , then an Unable to Verify Update message. Now it' s doing another 1 hour copy to the phone.

11. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

It's been downloading for 2.5 hours and still says another hour to go. Man this sucks :( oh well, it's only once I have to do it I guess

12. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

Kinda funny because this update is so small (file size wise)
    Watch is currently updating now... Any hour now and it should be done :cool:

13. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I posted about this in another thread but the update process for Apple Watch is stupidly slow and incompetent.

When I loaded Beta 1 onto my watch back in June it look around 3 hours and it hasn't gotten any faster. Even sitting inside an Apple store the last beta update took 2 hours.

Apple should make the watch connect to wifi directly and download instead of bluetoothing 500MB from the phone to watch. Most stupid process ever.

14. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Ooh, mine was still showing 21 minutes/60% left but then suddenly vibrated and is now on the reboot screen with the Apple symbol and the circle around it slowly filling up! Has filled up to ca 50% in about ten minutes. Come on... I'm like a school boy at Christmas :p

So far about 5 hours total...

15. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

Zoiks! Mine took 2 hours start to finish!
    Hopefully it speeds up for you soon! :)

16. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

Wow... Mine took less than 45 min from start to finish

17. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Thanks, it did! Finally done, ahh... Seems to be working fine so far :)

18. smorrison0 macrumors newbie

For the update time, how much of that was spent "Verifying...". The download and preparing steps went pretty quickly. But, Verifying, dear god. About an hour now.

19. friednoodles macrumors regular

One more data point:

I set mine to download before I went to bed last night and it said that it would take two hours. Six hours later when I woke up, the iPhone was saying "verifying".

After going out and back in to the Software Update view, it suddenly changed back to saying 1.0.1 was the latest version and no software update was available. Going in and out a few times, it eventually said 2.0 was available and to Download and Install. I thought I'd have to download the entire thing again, but after trying to start it a few times (after entering the passcode it would just drop back to the Software Update screen like nothing had happened), it finally started and went straight to the Preparing step, then installed in about 15 minutes.

So it seems it had downloaded it overnight but failed to prepare and verify it, but kept the download on the iPhone to transfer to the Watch the next time I tried it. All good now and running smoothly!

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Maybe 10-15 minutes for me.

22. elit3nemesis macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

Took about 45 minutes to download.

Tried installing and stuck on verifying for about 15 minutes now...WTF

23. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

24. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I had to wait like 5 hours for the download, but then the update process kicked in automatically. When the watch rebooted and showed the update circle gradually filling up, I didn't dare touch my phone... Not sure if that was the 'verifying' stage but that process took about 30 minutes until the update was complete and the watch running again.

25. Jimmie Geddes macrumors regular

I did this earlier this afternoon and it took me about 40 minutes from start to finish.