How long did it take you to get over your first dent??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Vikinguy, May 24, 2009.

1. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I was cooking dinner the other night. My aluminum macbook was sitting on a bar stool when the top to a frying pan began to fall slowly toward it....i made a desperate grab for it...but failed. It crash landed on my beloved macbook. I could barely stand the thoughts of walking around the bar to see the damage.

Directly to the left or the apple logo there are two very shallow dents. You can barely seen them if standing directly over the computer...but still. It hurt me bad...in a bad way.

:eek:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

First of all my condolences for your dented MB. Snap some pics of it.

I'm trying to get over seeing the shiny wear on some of my keys on the keyboard. :cool:

3. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

your keys are already wearing off??!? :eek:

i type ALOT and never had any laptop keyboard ever wear on me...is this a common trait on mac keyboards?

do you mind taking a photo?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well they are not wearing off like fading out. What I mean is that they get shiny and there's no way of removing that. This is a common thing on the new unibodies unfortunately.

5. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

photos please??? :confused:

6. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine my first dent. Scary thought!!!

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

That's pretty common on pretty much all laptop keyboards. I've had it happen on almost all my computers, Mac and Windows computers alike.

Luckily though, I haven't gotten a dent on my MBP in the 6 months I've had it (although knock on wood).

8. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

thats why I got a Keyboard cover. :D

but..my first dent was last week on the marble countertop at work. So since october till now :(

9. philipxz macrumors regular

philipxz

Haha. Good question.

My first dent was on the display side. Took me over a month to get over it. When I first got it I would constantly rub it.

I got a smaller dent recently on the same display side. Took me quicker to get over it, less than a week. Probably because I got it before and its smaller this time.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...my seven year old Sony Vaio PCG-TR3A has mostly no lettering left on the keyboard but if you can touch type it's not an issue...

11. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

It took about a millisecond. Then I realized I'm not dead and my family is still well and the materials that make up this computer still function... and really that it doesn't matter.

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I will do everything I can, to prevent my computer from ever getting a dent.

13. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

thats loser talk

14. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

exactly. all these people "i prayed that god would take one of my children instead" are nuts.

it's a computer. a tool. it performs a function and is easily replaced if it no longer functions the way it should. dents, if anything, give your laptop 'character' and at least allow for differentiation from the millions of others produced in a factory in china just ****ing like it.

;)

15. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I don't think so, I think it's just not caring about silly things. :D

16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Not long. It's an aluminum laptop, all you have to do is look at it the wrong way and it will become dented.

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

ive never actually gotten a dent yet and ive had this thing since it came out. im terrified for my first one...

18. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

This isn't a new issue, right? I mean all of the people that have had PowerBooks and MacBook Pros for a long time must have had to deal with this. But I guess it is a new thing when it happens to yourself.

19. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

This explains my recent stroke.

I had my e2008 MBP, white BT keyboard and power supply on top of my fridge, which I keep clear as a kid- and spill-free storage zone in the kitchen. When it was time to bring the stuff outside to do some work, I picked up the pile and turned away, whereupon the cord caught briefly on the freezer door, pulling enough on me to lose my hold on the expensive stack. I pulled my arms into my body to do a desperate hug-save, but the keyboard flipped in midair, the adaptor hit me on the chin, and the MBP slid down my stomach; I stuck out my leg 45° and the lappy skied downhill towards my feet. I swiveled my toes and it skipped gracefully off my foot to come to a sliding stop in the middle of the kitchen.

There are no dents, dings or scratches anywhere to be found on the MBP, and everything works great. Except the keyboard, which seems to have bit the biscuit. It was living on borrowed time anyways, as I spilled a cup of coffee on it last year. The other cord wrapper thingy broke off the adaptor (the first one came off not long after I bought it), but I haven't found it yet.

The irony is that earlier that day, I noticed the plastic gasket had a chip broken off the front right corner. I have no idea how that happened, since I am always so careful about my electronics.

EDIT: I repaired the keyboard, and now it's working again.

20. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Wasnt that a problem with the Blackbook to?

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Nope. I had a 17" Powerbook for 4+ years, never a dent or a blemish. I didn't baby it or cherish it, I just used it normally, took it everywhere with me and didn't treat it like crap. My Macbook Air is dent free as well. The Apple notebooks don't dent that easily, that it purely from user carelessness and nothing else.

22. VladM macrumors regular

I would kill myself if I got a dent on my mb, or my keys became shiny. Not.

It's a bloody computer, not a pet. Get over yourself.

23. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I would cry myself to sleep if my dog became shiny!

24. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I doubt a dent in your dog invalidates your extended DogCare warranty.
    AiredaleCare?