How long did your AT&T activation take?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ckurt25, Oct 14, 2011.

?

How long did your AT&T activation take?

1. It was instant

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Just a few minutes

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Less than an hour

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 1-2 hours

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. 2-4 hours

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. 4-6 hours

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. 6-12 hours

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. More than 12 hours

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

It took me about 5 hours worth of trying. I was ready to pull my hair out. I'm not looking forward to the iP5 coming out. Just imagine how many people would have been activating if there was a redesign.

2. wutang61 macrumors regular

still trying. went to the store. spent an hour being "helped" they have no idea what is wrong. they told me to call apple and have a nice day.

3. Si1en7 macrumors member

Got my phone, called 611, did the activation steps, powered off my iPhone 4S and back on again and it was active. Really sorry to people having issues. I was at Best Buy getting a case and the people there were having activation issues as well. A good 4-10 people standing around.

Don't forget that you can activate online as well if 611 doesn't give you the option to activate.

http://www.att.com/activations

or business/premier peeps:

http://www.att.com/bizactivate

4. ckurt25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I think that is only if you ordered from AT&T. Many, including me, ordered from Apple.

5. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Didn't work the first time I tried it through the phone. Was busy updating iTunes for probably 20min. Plugged it in to my computer, went through the steps, activated on the second try. I'm sure the networks were overwhelmed...

6. ron808 macrumors regular

ron808

7. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Took me under a minute in the car on the way home from the Apple Store at 0810 PST.

8. ckurt25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

This was no scientific poll but it looks like almost 35% took more than 4 hours and almost 50% took more than 2 hours.

I think the steps necessary to activate your phone are important, especially if they're there as a safeguard to prevent against stolen phones. I'm wondering if anyone's phone was stolen if they contacted Apple, AT&T or whoever they ordered from and say "it was never activated, can it be replaced?" if they'd do something about it. I know leaving an authorization note for UPS is a big risk but without alternative secure methods of pre-ordering a phone customers will do that and there are bound to be thefts.

Does anyone know if AT&T (or any other carrier) allowed you to pre-order but pick it up in the store? I heard Best Buy did this but it wasn't as smooth of a reservation policy as advertised. What would have been ideal for me is if I could just have ordered the phone and picked it up at UPS without them ever attempting delivery. I pre-signed, and refreshed the UPS tracking screen every few minutes while at work and when I saw it was delivered (around 12:48 PM Eastern), I raced home and grabbed it off the porch. I live in a fairly safe area but didn't want to take any chances.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

Mine took 17 hours for the included sim card to activate. It did tell me I could use the phone while I waited for the sim card to activate. I just put in my sim card from my iPhone 4 so I could use the cellular features until that sim deactivated at 11AM Saturday.