How long do I have to wait before registering for Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Aug 9, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, I should be recieving my new Macbook Pro next week (unless the salesman at the apple store here in Mexico reports to my grandpa that there'll be a new model within the next few weeks or so... Sorry, I really can't wait a month. =/) and'm kind of tight on money, so I was hoping to maybe register for Applecare towards the end of my 1 year warranty. Is that possible? Or does it have to be within a specific amount of time?

Also, I've heard you can register your e-mail accounts with apple mail or something.
    Could I register two hotmail accounts, and a gmail account and then check them both on the same space?
    Thanks in advance! =D

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

there's no advantage to registering your computer early or late. applecare is a one year warranty that starts from the time of purchase, and you have an option to extend two additional years anytime within the first year.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can buy the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime before the end of the 1st year warranty.

Correction: AppleCare is an optional 3-year warranty that starts on the date the hardware was purchased. There is no option to extend.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

a year of applecare is included with every mac purchase. purchasing applecare extends the warranty two more years.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is not true. Every Mac comes with the Apple Limited Warranty, which is completely different from the AppleCare Protection Plan:

"AppleCare Protection Plan extends your computer’s 90 days of complimentary support and one-year repair coverage to up to three years of world-class support."

http://www.apple.com/support/products/
    http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Correct... gg...

Pretty Much it... the 90 Days Phone is only early benefit I believe...

7. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Wait, the services they offer are different to? So, say my new MBP breaks down 8 months after I bought it due to GPU death or some other failure and I haven't bought applecare yet. I can't just call apple up and ask them to repair it or if they can repair it, and they won't do it for free with next-day shipping like many users here say they do?

(Btw, I live in Pto. Vallarta Mexico. I have no apple stores anywhere near me... soo....)

8. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

When you buy the computer, you have one year warrenty on the hardware, and 90 days of free phone support.

When you buy Applecare, you have three years warrenty on the hardware and three years of phone support. (both three years start on the day the computer was purchased, not the day the extended warrenty was purchased.)

The only disadvantage about buying Applecare sometime within the 1 year period of the original warrenty is that you'll have missed any no-extra-cost phone support between the time the free 90 days are up and when you buy the extended warrenty.

If the GPU dies within that first year, they'll still replace the motherboard for free, it's part of the warrenty included with the computer. They did for me.

As for whether you'll be charged to talk to them on the phone to get them to replace it before you've got the phone support thrown in, that's a different matter, I'm not sure. You could look into if you have any authorised service centres around.

9. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

^ That's exactly the reason why I'm nervous, I DON'T have any service centers around. The nearest ones are all in Guadalajara, which is a complicated trek of over 3 hours by car...

Well, I really don't mind paying for the phone call. Last time I called them they were quick, so yeah... I doubt it'd be too expensive... As long as they fixed my problem, I don't think I'd be too unhappy. =/

10. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Assuming the policies have not changed much in the last several years (I think the last time I had to call about a problem on a warrantied Apple was ~7yrs ago) if you call about a hardware problem that has occurred (within warranty, but after phone support has ended) apple service will take your credit card info, then they will try and fix it with you over the phone. If after they talk you through restarting, and reassigning permissions and whatever other hints they have, the problem is still proving to be a hardware problem they will not charge you for the phone call, and will send you a box to ship them your computer. If on the otherhand the phone technician fixes your computer they will charge you something on the lines of $50 for the phonecall. If memory serves the phone charge is a flat fee, and not based on the length of the call.

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If you plan on purchasing Apple Care for your MBP, then just do it at purchase and activate it within the first 3 months after your purchase, that way you will not lose the phone support for any time, there are no major benefits as to registering it early or late in the first year of purchase. The only thing that can be viewed as a benefit is that you will not lose the phone support 3 months after purchase to whenever you register Apple Care again.

12. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

I work in a community with plenty of knowledgeable Mac users. I live 5 minutes from an Apple store. Is there an advantage to owning Apple Care (other than the obvious hardware warranty extension) in this situation?

What I mean is other than telephone support - which I believe is less relevant given my situation - what would Apple Care offer me during the first year of ownership on top of my basic warranty?

13. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It wouldn't give you anything all that new in the first year, as it sounds like you have plenty of experts in your area. But for the two-year extension is the main highlight on the purchase, which would protect you if there was a problem that the computer had that was by no means your fault. But from my experience, me and my family have purchased over 9 computers in the past 10 years (mixture of PCs and Macs), 4 of which were laptops, we have never purchased any warranty service beyond what was included with the purchase, and we have never regretted it. Most of the problems that would happen beyond the first year of use would probably be user-error, which would not be covered by the warranty and would void it (granted I know that there are a few exceptions). And any problems that would arise beyond that time that were not your fault could probably be repaired personally for a cost that is lower than the price of Apple Care.

14. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

Thanks for the reply, that was pretty much what I assumed.

I've plenty of experience building and repairing PCs over the past 15 years, but have only been using Macs seriously for the last year or so. I've had a Mac mini which has been operating sterlingly since they were launched. Conversely my work supplied me with a Macbook just over a year ago which I've been having multiple problems with.

I will be purchasing a MBP in the upcoming months and based on my Mac Mini ownership have no worries. However my Macbook ownership makes me think the extended warranty is a decent idea.

I suspect given your reply my best is to reflect on purchasing Apple Care towards the end of my first year of ownership based on my experiences to that point.

15. Jezter macrumors newbie

Actually, after reading through the post here, I think that the logical conclusion is to accumulate experience with that particular product in the first year before deciding whether you need the Apple Care or not...

Unless of course you're not comfortable in meddling with hardware and tweaking parms, in which case you might as well get it when you purchase your product. i.e. First time Mac Users?...

Anyhow, this thread has been useful... thanks :D

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Warranty is what the computer comes with. AppleCare is a separate plan that replaced the warranty. That's why they are more lenient with serving you when you have AppleCare. It's not like you get 1-year of AppleCare, you get warranty.

17. matt156 macrumors newbie

While what you say is true to some respect Apple class the one year warranty as Applecare. When a repair is logged within the first year if the customer does not have APP it is classed as a Applecare repair. Some stores may be more lenient with you if you have APP, they shouldn't if its within the first year though.

Well thats how Apple repairs work in the UK anyway.

Regarding when to buy APP, anytime in the first 90 days give you maximum coverage. If you don't think you will require telephone support and money is tight at the moment, wait till about 11 after the purchase date before you buy it.

18. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I just added Applecare to my iMac 2 days before the standard warranty was said to end at apple.com/support. It now shows I am covered for two more years.

I always wait the 1 year. They shouldn't get your money early.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare does not replace the warranty. AppleCare is an optional plan that is purchased in addition to the warranty. If you buy AppleCare at the time you buy a Mac, you are covered by both AppleCare and the Limited Warranty during the first year. For the remaining 2 years, you are covered only by AppleCare.

20. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

In response to this part of your question. You can check your gmail account within Apple mail, but the hotmail accounts no longer works. There was a plug in that allowed it to work with Apple mail, but since Leopard it has been real buggy, and now Microsoft is not allowing hotmail to work within out mail programs. You can check your hotmail accounts through Safari, or Foxfire browsers.