General How long do I have until 6.1.1 is released?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by guitarmandp, Feb 8, 2013.

1. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

Looking at getting an iPad 4 128gig. Do I need to rush? Best Buy has very few in stock. Would prefer to buy from them as I get 18 month financing

They only have black in stock, not sure if I can wait for the white one.

How much time do I have before they release iOS 6.1.1?

2. alec6542, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

alec6542 macrumors regular

No one knows. Judging by Apple's rush to seed iOS 6.1.1 beta, it's reasonable to assume that Apple is working around the clock to get evasi0n patched ASAP. I highly recommed you buy your iPad 4 as soon as possible to ensure you secure it's corresponding 6.1 SHSH blobs before Apple closes the signing Window for 6.1. As long as you have SHSH hashes saved, your iPad 4 can be jailbroken (and most importantly, RE-jailbroken post 6.1 signing if you ever have to restore). That's the important thing to consider.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Best do some reading.
    The 6.1.1 beta does not "patch" any of the exploits used by evasi0n.

But once on 6.1.1, you cannot use evasi0n since it was not formatted for 6.1.1 (unless the evad3rs update it)

The 6.1.1 firmware is to address some 3G data issues and more battery fixes

Oh, and having the SHSH saved is irrelevant to being able to jailbreak.

4. alec6542 macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip but I'm already familiar with all that, thank you. Maybe you didn't really understand what I was getting at. Having thoses hashes saved ensures the ability to jailbreak indefinitely because without them, you cannot restore to an unsigned firmware if something goes wrong with your JB device. For example, once Apple patches evasion, anybody still on 6.1 who JB their device but didn't save those hashes will be SOL if something goes awry, perhaps from downloading a corrupted or malicious package, that cannot be repaired except by complete factory restore. In which case, they will be forced to upgrade. I don't know about you, but I like the peace of mind of being able to restore and still JB. I know I'm getting ahead of myself as no such tool exists to do that for iOS 6 (since evasi0n is still out obviously) like with 5.1.1 (redsn0w), but without them for, example if you buy an iPad 4 with 6.1 AFTER the 6.1.1 signing window has closed, it will be impossible.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Regardless of having saved SHSH, you cannot restore an iPad 4 to unsigned firmware.

6. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Evasion jailbreaks 6.0 6.0.1 6.0.2 and 6.1
    So if you buy something now it will come with one of those and you will be able to JB it.
    Just dont get it too long after 6.1.1 hits cause they might have something newer than 6.1 installed from the factory.

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I imagine 6.1.1 will be released in the coming months considering that Apple has recently seeded a copy of it to developers.

But as said, 6.1.1 doesn't fix the exploit used by the evasi0n jailbreak tool so you don't have to rush getting your new iPad.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 1st beta 6.1.1 doesnt fix the exploits used to JB but you cant say the final 6.1.1 release will also not patch any of those holes.;)

10. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Touchè. Knowing Apple, all betas of 6.1.1 won't fix the exploit but they'll sneak the fix in without notice for the final release :D.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, they are sneaky:D
    I hope they leave it alone for a little while. Let us have some fun too you know.:D

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I am so tempted to buy an iPad Mini now, but I'm certain that the second generation will be a huge upgrade...

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, that's what Im thinking too.
    And Im positive they will upgrade the screen to a retina display at least with the next revision.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Retina display and A6 processor at the very least.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, well worth the wait.
    But then we will most likelly have no JB available for it:D