How long do iP4 batteries last?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by britneyfan, Jun 4, 2011.

1. britneyfan macrumors 6502

for one day... in hours...
    and for long term use... like so and so days or charges.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Mine would drop a bit below 50 percent on most days when I used it normally, which means listening to music on the way to work, at work, and on the way home, plus some Web browsing-type stuff during the day. That was before I got a charging cradle in my car for when I use my Magellan GPS app, so I honestly don't even know anymore since I charge it so much.

I know that's not best for it, but it's how I roll.

If you don't use the iPod feature so much, you can probably just recharge it every other day. If you use it for calls more, then I'm not sure because 3G uses a good bit of battery over time.

Best thing to do is get a decent car charger and have it on hand, plus keep a wall charging system with you at all times.

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I usually get at least two days on one charge. Sometimes three. And it's normally about 7-8 hours of usage before it dies.

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

It honestly depends on how you use it.

Playing games for 3 hours can drop my phone to 50%. Watching Youtube videos for 3 hours can drop it 30%. Surfing Safari for 3 hours can drop it 15-20%.

Then if you have push notifications on and auto checking email, expect worse battery life.

5. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

This sounds crazy, but my battery has been a b**** lately, LOL.
    I use a little internet, twitter, calls.
    My battery is down to 19% by 3:30 PM... I used it probably less than 1/2 the time since 7 AM.
    I'm puzzled, because I went to apple today and they ran the diag and it said my battery was "normal" but the guy asked if I had jailbroken it and I was like "Um, noooooo"
    I don't know.
    I turn off 3G... turn off wifi... (use one or the other) don't let apps run in the background. Brightness at 50%... location services off.
    It's weird.

6. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Safari makes it drop to 15-20% or it drops 15-20%?
    LOL
    :eek:

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Time for the Genius Bar.

8. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I went there and when they ran the diag, it said "normal"
    But I did a restore and it only showed 2 CALLS and none of them dropped because I only made 2 calls since....
    I get soooo many dropped calls it's not even funny.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That definitely sounds weird. A lot of the battery depends on how you use it, like the other guy said. When you use iPod, if your screen is off it shouldn't hit your battery too hard. But if you're playing a video, it will be much worse because the video is showing and the file is larger. Basically the larger a file is, the more CPU it takes to play it, therefore it uses more battery.

I honestly don't think the 3G/WiFi thing will help all that much, and the same with the background apps. I understood that background apps are supposed to use very little juice unless they're active, like playing music or something.

If you haven't tried it, maybe you should do a restore of iOS. Otherwise, you may have used your battery like hell and it may have just been one that won't last as long on average. Just like everything else, sometimes you get a bad battery. Then sometimes you get one like my iPad 2, which seems to last for months.

10. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah... I know. LOL. I don't play videos or anything...
    I want to go back to apple but my battery showed as "normal" so they won't replace it or anything :(
    what should I do?

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Here's a tip: turn off the battery % indicator and don't go checking the usage stats every few hours.

I used to be obsessive compulsive about it too, but once I stopped that and started using the phone without worrying about that stuff, I noticed that life suddenly became much less stressful.

You get used to it after a few days and sooner than later, you don't even notice it anymore. I haven't since I saw this thread and it's been months already. It's like any old habit.

12. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I just want to get more use out of it, you know?

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, I do. And chances are, your batteries are absolutely fine and normal. Unless you notice that you get only 2-3 hours on a charge by using just Safari, then you have nothing to worry about.

Most problems don't exist until you say they do ;)

14. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I have to see about that...
    the guy was confused too. LOL
    Maybe it's just me.

15. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how I can prove that my battery isn't faring well when the diag says it's okay?

16. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

That's exactly what I did :cool:

17. OceanView macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

2-3 days? That's really hard to believe as I've never gone more than 24 hours with limited use.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm no battery expert, but the diagnostic pretty much just means that the battery doesn't have any bad sectors or something similar. Like it's not physically bad. But something could be draining it, or it could be your imagination.

If you've been bad at how you charge your battery, like I mentioned with me charging in my car on my 40-minute drive to work, you have probably degraded its peak performance over time. But mine lasts through the day without trouble and I have a way of charging it pretty much anywhere, so I'm not concerned about the battery not lasting two days based on my use. If you use a GPS app on it, that's just what happens. You're either going to charge it during use or have battery drained quickly.

Get an extra USB-to-dock cord and keep your adapter for a wall outlet on you. Keep those at work or wherever. If you have to charge a bit, just do it. Otherwise, take it to Apple and get the battery replaced for $100 or whatever.

19. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

My whole phone has been "glitchy" which it's just coming to mind and could be why the battery is flaking out... can I go back to apple and say that it's glitchy?
    Can they just replace the whole phone?

20. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

im shocked to hear the result...mu batter never last long...maybe because of push....do you guys have the brightness all the way up?