How long do Macbook batteries last?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aznelementmaste, Jul 31, 2008.

1. aznelementmaste macrumors newbie

How long do Macbook batteries usually last or how long should people switch out their batteries?

every 2 or three years? 500 cycles?

Thanks for any answers!

2. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

interesting question.

I don't know after how many cycles one "should" change it.

I would get a new one whenever the old one doesn't get you enough hours anymore for your work.

I mean, if your battery lasts for only one hour and that is just enough for your train trip to work, then that's alright, isn't it? Otherwise get a new one to get back to your original amount of hours.

I've read stories where people changed their batteries every year and I know people who change them all 3 years (or better yet get a new notebook by then)

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

300 is the recommended # of cycles

4. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

My MacBook is nearly two years old, the battery has 347 cycles and only lasts about 20 mins on battery now.

I shall have to purchase a new one before Uni.

5. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Apple usually says around 300 cycles.

My iPod Video is drained and charged every other day so it must have done getting on for 300 cycles now, and the battery is down to about half life - it can last about eight hours ish of continuous audio playback at three-quarter volume.

My friend's PowerBook battery is nearing its 600th cycle and still holds about a half hour of charge which is more than enough for him to move between rooms and plug in again uninterrupted.

That said... another friend's Acer battery didn't even make its 200th cycle before it needed replacing for holding no charge whatsoever. So I guess it depends on the battery itself, although from my own experience I'd say replace it when it stops being useful to you personally, not when you reach a magic cycle number. The battery wont* drop dead on the 300th charge.

*Disclaimer: shouldn't

6. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Im on my 200ish cycle, bu i have only had my mac since feburary. my battery is still in good condition,