How long do notifications stay visible in the top bar?

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
When I get a message, or some other notification, how long should the notification stay there if I don't acknowledge it by clicking on it? It seems like it used to only be a few seconds but in iOS 8, sometimes it is a few seconds and sometimes it is much longer.

Is there a setting for this? Does it vary by app notifying you? Is it just a bug?

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2012
When I get a message, or some other notification, how long should the notification stay there if I don't acknowledge it by clicking on it? It seems like it used to only be a few seconds but in iOS 8, sometimes it is a few seconds and sometimes it is much longer.

Is there a setting for this? Does it vary by app notifying you? Is it just a bug?
I notice this too. I believe its a known bug that will hopefully be fixed with the new update.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
It hangs for 6-7 seconds, which I agree is too long. It's probably because actionable buttons and quick reply can be revealed by pulling down, so they want to give you more chance to do that. But 4 seconds would be plenty.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... the banners in iOS 7 onwards have forgotten their purpose in the original iOS 5 incarnation, which is to deliver notifications with minimal distraction.

In iOS 7 they made them too big, such that they can really obscure and distract you from content (most notable when playing games).

In iOS 8 they made them hang around too long.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2012
Some of the notifications remove when pushed up, but others dont, such as whatsapp. If i push the home button though, it goes away.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've had message app notifications hang indefinitely. It's kind of humorous because it's generally when I'm just waiting for them to disappear so I can use something at the top of the screen.

I'll have to check it to make it go away, pushing up on them doesn't work.

It's rare though only happened 5-10 times.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Yeah happened to me to. I got a message notification when I was in the middle of a intense game so I didn't want to use quick reply and I was waiting for it to go away and it didn't so after about 15-20 seconds I swiped it away.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It hangs for 6-7 seconds, which I agree is too long. It's probably because actionable buttons and quick reply can be revealed by pulling down, so they want to give you more chance to do that. But 4 seconds would be plenty.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... the banners in iOS 7 onwards have forgotten their purpose in the original iOS 5 incarnation, which is to deliver notifications with minimal distraction.

In iOS 7 they made them too big, such that they can really obscure and distract you from content (most notable when playing games).

In iOS 8 they made them hang around too long.
The same timing is present in iOS 7. When this topic came up in a few threads before I had an iOS 7 device and timed a few different notifications which stayed the same 6-7 seconds on that device as they did on an iOS 8 device I was using for comparison.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
The same timing is present in iOS 7. When this topic came up in a few threads before I had an iOS 7 device and timed a few different notifications which stayed the same 6-7 seconds on that device as they did on an iOS 8 device I was using for comparison.
Thanks for the correction.

The comparison I made between iOS 7 and 8 timings is one thing I was speculating on based on others comments in this thread. It has since emerged that some people in this thread are actually experiencing a *bug*, where the notification is not auto-dismissing at all.

What I said about how I feel about the size of the banners across iOS 7 and 8 still stands though, just to be clear.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the correction.

The comparison I made between iOS 7 and 8 timings is one thing I was speculating on based on others comments in this thread. It has since emerged that some people in this thread are actually experiencing a *bug*, where the notification is not auto-dismissing at all.

What I said about how I feel about the size of the banners across iOS 7 and 8 still stands though, just to be clear.
Yeah, I think that's basically where the issue is when it comes to all of this in iOS 8. It seems to affect some people while many others don't see it--pretty much as it goes for many other issues people notice as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.