How long do 'revisions' last?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
This has been a question I've been wondering for a while. If I have some large pictures and I scale them down in Preview, I can always revert back to a previous version right? So when does Lion throw those revisions away or does it keep the large original version forever? What if I want to save space and actually want to have lower resolutions of some photos only?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Wow! You should never ever work do this kind of work on your original images. Archive your originals. Work on copies. I would argue that it is a good idea not to reuse the memory cards from your camera. SDHC cards go for about $0.70/GB now. Each card can store several thousand photographs. When one fills up, label it, toss it into a box, and pop-in a new card.

As for saving space, get an external hard drive. Do you have any idea how many photographs you can store on a 2 TB hard drive? I estimate that you can store more than 300 thousand photographs on a 2 TB hard drive. These drives go for $200 or less. This works out to about 1500 photographs/$ of storage.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Wow! You should never ever work do this kind of work on your original images. Archive your originals. Work on copies. I would argue that it is a good idea not to reuse the memory cards from your camera. SDHC cards go for about $0.70/GB now. Each card can store several thousand photographs. When one fills up, label it, toss it into a box, and pop-in a new card.

As for saving space, get an external hard drive. Do you have any idea how many photographs you can store on a 2 TB hard drive? I estimate that you can store more than 300 thousand photographs on a 2 TB hard drive. These drives go for $200 or less. This works out to about 1500 photographs/$ of storage.
Thanks for the concern :) I would never modify my originals either, but sometimes I just throw together a poster for a school project and resize images to keep the file size down. It's just been random question of mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.