How long do 'revisions' last?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kockgunner, Jun 4, 2012.

1. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

This has been a question I've been wondering for a while. If I have some large pictures and I scale them down in Preview, I can always revert back to a previous version right? So when does Lion throw those revisions away or does it keep the large original version forever? What if I want to save space and actually want to have lower resolutions of some photos only?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! You should never ever work do this kind of work on your original images. Archive your originals. Work on copies. I would argue that it is a good idea not to reuse the memory cards from your camera. SDHC cards go for about $0.70/GB now. Each card can store several thousand photographs. When one fills up, label it, toss it into a box, and pop-in a new card.

As for saving space, get an external hard drive. Do you have any idea how many photographs you can store on a 2 TB hard drive? I estimate that you can store more than 300 thousand photographs on a 2 TB hard drive. These drives go for $200 or less. This works out to about 1500 photographs/$ of storage.

3. kockgunner thread starter macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Thanks for the concern :) I would never modify my originals either, but sometimes I just throw together a poster for a school project and resize images to keep the file size down. It's just been random question of mine.