How long do think the iPad will provide real service?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Photomax, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Photomax macrumors regular

I started the "iPad and getting real work done" thread.

We have three Macs in the house: Mac Pro desktop, 15" MacBook Pro and a 12" G4 Powerbook.

We were debating replacing the Powerbook with either one of the smaller MacBook Air laptops or the new iPad. The Powerbook is mainly my wife's email and surfing machine. I was leaning towards the Air but like a moth to a flame I plan on getting the iPad.

But, consider our 12" Powerbook. It as the 1 Gig G4 processor and is loaded with as much memory as it can (not that much really) and a newer hard drive. I purchased this machine new way, way back in 2003. Its now 2011. Think about that. This Powerbook is no hi def video editing powerhouse. It also can't keep up with some Youtube videos. But it handles everything else just fine. It works with my wireless network, prints, emails, surfs, etc. I paid about $1450 for this machine. Considering how long it has served us thats pretty fantastic in my book.

To the question: finally! How long will we all be still using these iPads? How many years? Or will it be months until they become "yesterdays snow"???

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I mean, realistically 3 years before the OS has eclipsed the capabilities of it. Meaning, in 3 years there will be significant features that the iPad won't be able to do, similar to the iPhone 1 right now. It's a 3 year old phone that can't really do anything iPhone 4 can. It still functions, but it's certainly dated.

3. anthony691 macrumors newbie

I'd expect to replace the battery about every two years. Barring accidental damage, I see no reason an iPad can't last as long as your PowerBook (though perhaps not as long as my PowerMac G4).

Realistically, I'd expect 3-4 years.