How long do you expect an iMac to last?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ThoseBackPages, Nov 5, 2011.

1. ThoseBackPages macrumors regular

I've had my 20" Alum iMac since 2007. it has served me well, never had to have it fixed and it has performed as expected. that being said, it's getting "a bit long in the tooth" imo.

How long do you guys like to go between upgrading your macs?

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

haha, I have the same iMac was was starting to wonder the same… I might see if they get a redesign next year, but you should expect it to keep on chuggin!

3. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Well, I've only bought my first Mac this year but I'm expecting it to last me 4 years, If it could last me 5 then I'd be pretty happy.

4. washburn, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

washburn macrumors 6502

well i'm planning to get an iMac, most likely the current model..dont really want to wait for the 2012 redesign which could be towards the end of next year

so i'm hoping it will last at least 3 years and 5 max, but if in that time frame there was a radical new technology/cpu that the web or whatever started utilizing i would sell it and get some extra cash and upgrade to it

5. Spike88, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

For me, the main deciding factor is CPU starvation and max memory starvation. Larger internal or larger external HDDs can be added. But when CPU congestion and/or max memory congestion is hit, time to sell and replace with better unit. This could be in 3 years or could be in 6 years. It all depands how much demand is put on the iMac system.

To view internal congestions, use Applications - Activity Monitor tool.

6. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'm expecting my 2011 21.5" iMac to work well for the next 4 to 5 years.

7. Cripps macrumors regular

I have a mid 2011 iMac and will keep it as long as OS X support is available for it.
    I am hoping for 5+ years.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As long as I want/need it to.

9. Cripps macrumors regular

A profound answer; obviously from the ivory tower.

10. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

I got 6 years out of my last iMac (a base model), and probably could've gotten more if I didn't want the better performance of a newer machine assuming no major hardware failures occurred (although, my 2001 iBook is still running strong for what it is, but I don't need it to do the things my desktop does). Now, with a refurbed 2010 27" iMac, I expect to get at least 6 years out of it, if not 7 or 8 (again, assuming the hardware doesn't fail).

11. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

late 2006 2.0 GHz 1g mem,160g hd...upgraded to snow leopard...runs like new,does everything i need it for (web,ipod,photos) with zero lagg...im hoping to get 3-4 more years out of it.

12. bobright macrumors 601

^to the last 2 posters that's nice to know

I hope that still stands true with recent models

13. nufanec macrumors regular

I usually consider 3 years my maximum. That said, I pretty much always sell and upgrade every year.

14. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

I have a 17" white iMac and it's running the latest version of lion pretty well.

15. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I keep my devices for the the length of AppleCare, three years. By then there will be enough redesigns/upgrades to justify a new device enough though the old one still works.

16. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I have a 2008 24" iMac and thought it was getting sluggish.

I recently spent $300 and it is now kicking ass again.

1. $150 on WD Caviar Black 2 TB internal HD. 64 mb cache to replace internal 500 gb drive

2. 4gb of ram to go from 4gb total to 6gb.

3. 3tb external WD hard drive for time machine.

It is running like a freaking champ.

17. lali macrumors regular

Hi
    Were it not for Handbrake encodes, I would say that my 2007 iMac 24" is as fun to use as in October 2007

A new mac mini server is almost 3 times as fast as my iMac in geekbench.

But I must admit - in 3 years- not a single crash or problem - tough to beat

18. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

I have an Aug. 2007 iMac (2.4 C2D with 6G of RAM) running 10.7.2 and it still runs perfect. I'm using this little bastard until the wheels fall off, which doesn't seem to be for a long while.

19. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Got top spec 27" this summer. I would LOVE for it to last me 3 years, then it could become a badass thunderbolt display which doubles as a gamestation for LAN parties.

4 years would be boss. I bought a Canon 60d to go with it, and as long as I keep the camera, the iMac is all I need to edit everything video/photo/audio. SO it should be a lasting combo.

20. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

My 2008 24" runs just fine (upgraded to 6GB RAM, and with a new display under Applecare just before its 3rd birthday), although it takes a little while to process the 22MP RAW files from my camera. For everything else it's excellent, although I could do with upgrading the internal HDD to an SSD and adding a second external drive (1 for storage, 1 for backup).

But SSD + external FW drive is probably £400, plus hassle of opening and re-closing it without getting dust in the screen.

So I'm hanging on, I think, to see what the next revision of iMacs (or Mac Minis) brings.

21. steveca macrumors 6502

most computers would be great for 2 years max and will serve out 4 to 5 years IMHO.

if you get a mac pro you would be able to upgrade it some more but iMacs suffer from lack of upgrades...

22. Joe-Diver macrumors 6502

Joe-Diver

Macs have a whole other "useful life" than PC's do...this is why their resale value stays so high, and PC's are virtually worthless after a year or so.

I bought my 24" aluminum iMac in August 2007, the first day they came out. In fact, posted the first unboxing pics of the new iMac right here on the forums.

I've upgraded RAM to 4Gb and have chained a 500Gb and 2Tb FW800.

Still runs strong and does everything I ask of it. Unless some radical new design, OS upgrade....or something comes along that changes the game and obsoletes my iMac....I can see getting many more years out of it.

Same can be said of my 17" MBP....it's a summer '09 model....runs like a champ!

23. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

The average useful lifespan of a PC tends to be three years. Taking into account the fact that macs are better built than consumer level machines. I'd say four years is good for a mac but I wouldn't be surprised to see it's real lifespan last five years or more. After all; there's PPC macs still out there in full working order.

Keep in mind this is just me making an educated guess with a good dose of subjective probability and I have no real data to back it up.

24. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

After spending £2000+ on our new 27" iMac I'd like to think it'll last us a good number of years (4-5) I hope.

I did spec almost every option (SSD, i7, 2Gb graphics etc) so this should help sort of future proof it upto a point I guess.