How long do you expect each gen to keep getting updates?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So lets look at the historical iPhone data to get some relative idea

iPhone: 2 years (full upgrades) + 1 year (partial upgrade) = 3 years
    iPhone 3G: 2 years (full upgrades) + 1 year (partial upgrade) = 3 years
    iPhone 3GS: 3 years (full upgrades) + still going...

So I think for iPad we could expect about the same, if not slightly longer.

the iPad 1 has been out for 2 years already, so I'm thinking it will get iOS 6 (at least some of the features), but maybe not iOS 7. That would give it a life of 3.5 years. What do you think?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Historical data indicates that the iPad 1 will not be getting iOS 6 as it shipped with 3.2.

3. applephanatic macrumors member

I would say that the iPhone and iPad as the technology increases and gets better, will begin to see a longer update life. I do believe that there will obviously be certain features that won't bless the older devices.

The iPad 1 was released on iOS 3, however because it utilizes the A4 processor, I believe that it will be updated to iOS 6. I also believe that the iPad 2 will see more updates then any other device before, it is utilizing the A5 and besides the graphics change in the A5X the New iPad is virtually running on the same processor. What I am trying to say is, when the software becomes to much for the iPad 2 to handle in essence it will become to hard for the New iPad to handle. The bump in RAM does help to add the certain tasks however I would expect the iPad 2 to continue to receive updates until and potentially past iOS 8. The iPhone 3GS is still receiving updates, and because it is still being sold, I believe that Apple as plans to add support for it in iOS 6.

4. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I wonder how much more life the iPad 1 has with IOS updates. It seems to already be sputtering and on it's last legs with IO 5.1. My iPad 1 Safari crashes all the time with the small amount of memory and the demands of the latest OS software.