How long do you have to return a 3GS for a replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wahoo10, Jul 7, 2009.

1. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I've noticed some issues with both the look volume rocker and silent switch (it's loose to the point that it sags over the orange dot). I would like to get it replaced, not just given a refurb. How do I go about doing this, if I can at all? I got it the day it came out (shipped from Apple) and still have the box and everything.

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You have one year to replace your iPhone.

By the way... don't be afraid of refurbished units. They're usually BETTER than new units. I say this because refurbished iPhones are put together in the US instead of some shop in China. You're better off getting a refurb. Good luck my man.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just brought everything and my original box with receipt; they gave me a new iPhone v. a refurb....:cool::cool::cool:

4. cobalt135 macrumors regular

You do know there is really nothing different between a new and referb. unit besides it coming in a white box right?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

FYI, the chances of getting a refurb are quite low if you return it soon. No guarantees, but there's not as many returns are there will be later.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you bought from Apple, and it's still during the return window (which is 30 days for the iPhone), Apple will often "swap" you for a new one (off the shelf) vs. making you go through the repair process (where you may end up with a repair replacement that's refurbed). It's up to whomever is working, and you'd have to have everything with you (box, cables, etc).

I'd be surprised if Apple had refurbed iPhone 3GSs yet (for repair replacements). I'd guess you'd be likely to get a brand new one if you went the repair route. And like TheSpaz said, refurbs are typically better quality in the sense that they get more "hands-on time" with a tech. than a brand new phone gets (coming off the assembly line). Apple also puts a new case on the refurbs, so you can't tell someone's used it before.