How long do you keep your laptop?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by larapumkin, Oct 17, 2008.

1. larapumkin macrumors regular

i dont know why i have hard time throwing away electronics..especially computers and laptops.
    What do you think the average lifetime of a laptop is?

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'd say 2-3 years for a PC laptop, 4-6 years for a Mac. I still have my 1st gen bondi blue clamshell iBook (mainly for Classic programs: Excel 2.2 anyone?:eek:.:cool:) Still going strong with my 1st gen MacBook. It's gonna be another year or when FW makes a comeback on the MB before I buy my next laptop.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I run mine into the ground to the point that they can't be repaired fast enough to keep them functional.

aka 4-5 years

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I'd say 4-5 years too.
    I do still use a 13 year old PowerBook for certain things though.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My TiBook is still working good after 6 years...

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Until it doesn't work for what I need anymore. I won't get rid of it after an arbitrary number of years just because of its age.

8. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I keep mine until it can no longer do what I need it to do. Since Madden is no longer being made for computers, I guess I'll never need another computer. Thanks EA!

9. shecky Guest

shecky

in the past my laptop has been my main working machine (graphic design) so i update them every 2-3 years.

however, my next purchase will be a Mac Pro so i will keep this machine (2 years old in december) for at least another 2 years for use giving lectures and for onsite client stuff and use the MP as the main machine.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm hoping to get six years out of my Core Duo MacBook. ...Only 4 more years to go!

However, I'm guessing it'll only make it another two.

12. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I plan to keep mine as long it will run everything I need, reliably. mabey another 3-4 yrs? donno exactly

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My PowerBook is now my secondary system, it's about 5 years old (almost). Previously I would get a new laptop every year. Back before the Mac days.

14. slimpaul macrumors member

1 year and 10 months. :)
    My 2.0Ghz MacBook needed an upgrade to the 2.53 Ghz MacBook Pro since it couldn't handle games, the screen was to small and I needed a larger HDD. (It was really annoying to have to connect my MB to two external HDD's whenever I wanted to listen to music or upload some photos.)

15. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I'm a sucker when it comes to technology.

I got my first laptop about 2 years ago, moving from my desktop.

It is a refurbished Gateway M275 tablet. Paid $400 for it... and I thought it was a good deal.

When it shipped to my house, I turned the laptop on, and the battery was not working, nor would it charge.

I sent it back to Gateway 3 times. The third time I finally got a working battery. Now I have two backup batteries.

The thing runs hot, and is laggy no matter how many OS re-installations I do.

In December or January, I will finally join the party of being a Mac convert... and hopefully I can keep my desired MBA for a while. :)

16. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I have never owned a new laptop, but I usually keep them around until they can no longer serve me adequately. My last upgrade (from a Ti 867MHz to an Al 1.33GHz) was based on USB 2.0, higher RAM ceiling for Leopard, and the superior graphics power (also for Leopard).

I suppose after my current PowerBook dies, I'll have to weigh my options between going for a Core Duo or early C2D MacBook Pro, or just saving a bit up and buying a new one. I feel the older MacBook Pro (the previous generation) is more future-proof than the current, with full-size DVI and both types of FireWire, but I've never owned a new Lappy....

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well, I still use a Gateway PC that I bought in February of 2003. I don't use it often, however. I try and keep computers for as long as possible. For me, the big factor in deciding to get rid of a computer is when I can't find new software that will run on it. I plan on keeping the computers in my signature for at least 5 years.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd say I'd aim for at least 3 years, but right now, I don't think I'd even bother trying with regards to this MacBook. I bought the rev A, Core Duo 1.83 GHz MacBook, and it was repaired around 8 times in 1 year. It spent around 10 weeks in repair, which meant that it was in the shop getting fixed 1 day out of every 5 days, on average.

Got a replacement by Apple.....a C2D 2 GHz machine. Much better. Palmrest has cracked twice, but that's it. It's been buggy though. :eek:

In total, it has been 2y 5m since my original purchase, although this MacBook is only 1y and 5 months old. :) Not a bad deal.

However, if I had originally purchased a 15" MBP to replace my 12" PB, I would have been a lot happier and would have no problems keeping it for 4 or 5 years. I'll just wait until the MBPs allow for 16 GB of RAM (rather than 4 GB), and maybe 1600x screen resolution before I pull the trigger.

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

usually I plan on having a laptop for 2 years. Usually around 2 years I get the latest update. Currently now though I have no idea how long I am going to need to keep this.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

21. timerollson macrumors 65816

3 years, max.

Then, selling my old one for a new one. I don't like being behind the curve in technology.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm only on my third laptop, my process so far has been to get a new one when the old one breaks, which has been about every two years, but my 12" powerbook has lasted not quite 3. I'm feeling its age a little but I love the form factor and can't justify getting a new one now.

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

1-2 years for me. I always keep them in immaculate condition, and then sell them and get a new one.

24. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I used my 867MHz 12" PowerBook until it was over 4 years old, and I hope to keep using my MacBook till at least till 2010. I've already upgraded the RAM to 4GB, and I plan to get a 500GB hard drive soon so those should help increase its useful lifetime, however the GMA X3100 will become more and more of a problem as Snow Leopard and OpenCL become more important. :(

25. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Agreements. I plan on keeping mine for as long as I can. I figure that by the time I need more speed or can (otherwise) justify buying another, I'll have this one long paid off and it won't owe me a thing.

I think the fancier the machine is when you buy it, the longer you'll use it.