How long do you keep your laptops

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by egy195, Feb 20, 2014.

1. egy195 macrumors regular

Hi guys
    for how many years do you tend to keep your laptops ? And I mean as your main laptop
    I was wondering about this as i've never crossed the 3 years mark with any of my laptops
    do you use them till you don't bother to fix them or you just buy a new one after certain amount of time ?
    I've seen people on the internet still using their machines well past 5 or 6 years
    I bought my current toshiba laptop back in august 2012 and already replaced the screen :rolleyes:

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

When I used Windows machines they would have multiple problems after about 2 years use and I'd get a new one. Since switching over to Macs in 2012 I can't see myself upgrading or buying a new machine for quite some time. I've had it for a full 2 years now and it's just as fast as ever so I plan to stretch this one to at least 5 years minimum.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Until the cost of repairing it is greater than what I could get reselling it.

4. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I am about to hit 6 years with my current MacBook Pro.

It is about time for a new one... but since the current one aint broken I do not feel like doing anything about it.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My time frame is around three years. This is because I have Applecare on every laptop I purchase, and it expires after three years. Besides, after three years, a new computer will usually be quite noticeably different (better specifications, more power, more memory, better screen, other technical innovations have usually been developed in the interim, too.

My iPods are different; if they die during the first year (of warranty), naturally, I seek a replacement. However, I have two that are still going strong at four and five years of age, respectively, to which I added a third recently.

6. sammy-boy macrumors regular

I've had my Sony Vaio for over 6 years now and it's still going strong-ish - it's getting rather sluggish now, battery's shot, and I think the keyboard's getting a bit suspect but it keeps going!

Probably should replace it but can't afford to at the moment and besides, it still works! I'd love to replace it with a Mac or some description but that's sadly out of the question financially :(

7. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

my sister would replace her windows PC every 2-3 years mainly because of hardware issues

I had my macbook for 5 years before I replaced it last year mainly because of software outdated

Overall, apple products are very reliable if you take care of them ;)

8. egy195 thread starter macrumors regular

i'm having fun reading your comments guys, thank you and keep them coming:)

9. bwhinnen macrumors 6502

My last laptop (Dell XPS) I had in full use for around 3 1/2 years, of that period it was Windows for 1 year and OS X for the remainder, it is now my MythTV box (I purchased it in 2008).

My current is my 2011 11" MBA that I purchased in 2011 and I have no plans to replace it at this point.

The laptops I use for work tend to be 3 - 4 years depending on when they cycle them out, I've been with the company for 10 years and am on my fourth laptop with them (came in halfway through the first cycle and received a hand-me-down).

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Until they break. I had my 2006 MacBook Pro until 2011. And now I've had my 2011 since I got it in 2011.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much the same thing for me. My 20" iMac, the first generation aluminum, was purchased in August 2007 and it is still pretty much my daily driver. My MBP was purchased in January 2008 and is still going strong.

12. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

2-3 years. I just like having the "latest and greatest". I try to sell my machines while they still have decent re-sale value, before they get too old.

13. Ann P macrumors 68020

Until it dies. :eek:

I update my iphone and tablet yearly, however.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Same here!

I used to have an upgrade cycle of 3 years or when the price of a system that has almost double the specs matched the original purchase price of current system.

With my 2008 15" MBP, I broke that rule. It is still my main system, and I have hit few issues of performance. Primarily gaming (which I don't do much of, still playing games from a year or two ago on it).

I am also getting into the habit of buying the outgoing model when Apple upgrades the systems, that way I get some extra $$ off that I can use for additional purchases. Typically the performance differences are not significant enough for the %10 or more discount.

15. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

usually until they break, 3-4 years. this is my first mac though, I'm hoping it will last me 5-6 years

16. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Only just retired my mid-2007 MacBook Pro :)

6 years isn't bad at all, I was expecting about 5 years (only way I could justify spending so much on a laptop), and to be fair an SSD upgrade and new battery would get another year or so out of it easy.

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I use two factors. Were it my primary workstation (30+ hours per week), I would have replaced my MPB at 3 years. At under 20 hours per week and still going strong, I put in an SSD and expect another 2-3 years. May replace the battery as well.

So from an odometer standpoint, at about 5000 hours (about $0.25 per hour).

18. egy195 thread starter macrumors regular

so why wouldn't you put an SSD into it ? just curious :)

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Generally, a year...My current rMBP is 11 months old, but I will be hanging out longer this time around...I wouldn't replace it with anything else so I guess it will be another 13" Retina model...I've become used to the real estate and it's portability is great.

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Until it breaks usually. Or I don't need it and it can be sold.

21. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I would say around every 4.5/5 years.

I have a high end, Mid-2010 17" MBP right now and I will most likely get a replacement for it around WWDC.

22. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I kind of wish I still had my "17...maxed out top spec...sold it here. I know it was a heavy beast, but if I had one now and could afford to, I'd keep it....they won't ever make a 17" again, and it could become a collectable..Apple didn't sell that many of the big beasts, and I loved mine.

23. egy195, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

egy195 thread starter macrumors regular

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fair point. My MBA (and its predecessors) are my main computer and have been for years; thus, they work hard - and are worked hard - daily.

Sometimes, I am indeed offered an antique (usually Windows) machine when I am working abroad. That machine is invariably used for office emails, and very little else; everything I write and research is done on my own MBA.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Typically 3 years for me, but on my latest go around, I'm looking to keep it longer.