How long do you plan on keeping your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tctony, Oct 20, 2011.

1. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

I have a Mid-09 MBP, and I plan on keeping this bad boy for at least 5 years. I maxed out the RAM and added a second hard drive (solid state) to boost performance. I love this comp and foresee it lasting a while for me.

What about you?

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

i don't know but I've never sold a computer in my life so I guess I'll keep using it until it doesn't work anymore.

3. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I'll keep mine until it's not economical to resuscitate it...

4. IGotBush macrumors member

made me lol

Atleast 2-3 years minimum probably a tad more...but my home made comp a long while as I can just upgrade that easily unless I end up having to get a new mobo to upgrade daughterboards and cpu which case I spend the 3k and make one of the most amazing computers ever

5. Bloodstar macrumors regular

Early 2011 15", with a 6750M... I see myself easily getting five years out of this, at least. (Especially considering I was getting by pretty well with an iBook G4, for my own needs, but I needed an Intel machine for college.) Probably going to make the jump to 8 or 16GB of RAM at some point, but for now 4 is loads of breathing room compared to my old 1.5.

6. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Yeah I have the same computer and reckon I could get that much, the quad core is a nice breakthrough over generations before

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I'm keeping mine until it stops functioning, or until it is unable to run my frequently used software properly.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Usually I keep my laptops until they start dying out and not working properly, but if rumors of a redesigned, Ivy Bridge MBP next year start seeming to be true, then I'll sell my current one and get that one when it's released.

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Same as the past few..

Three month old 2011 Refurb 15".. It will likely 'keep me happy' for 3 years I hope.. My 3rd MBP.. :apple:

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

Until it's dead. The 15" 2010 is powerful enough for Pro Tools and Logic.

If I'm going to buy a new Apple computer, it will be an iPad / Mac Pro / iMac instead of upgrading the MBP.

11. LeeRod macrumors member

Got my 2010 refurb around the end of January of this year. I'll probably keep it for another year or so before I upgrade. Like my last couple of laptops I'll probably end up giving this one to my sister.

12. tctony thread starter macrumors 6502a

tctony

I said at least 5 years, but like others I'll be keeping it around until it dies.

Next comp I buy will be an iMac. I want that huge screen.

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

but u cant carry an imac around LOL

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Every year I tell myself I will keep my current model until it stops working, but every time a new model is released I buy it on the first day. I'd like to say I would keep it until it dies, but I'll probably buy the next release.

Anyways, the main reason I've always bought a new machine every year is the lack of performance in some way or another and I think for the first time this MacBook Pro is powerful enough for all my needs. Even the 2010 model wasn't good enough, so I have the 2011 model.

I had the same issue with my desktops; I kept upgrading to a new machine all the time, but after getting a Mac Pro, I haven't bought a new desktop in over 2 years.

15. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

At least 3 years and will then purchase the next update.

16. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I plan on keeping my early 2011 base 15" MBP for at least 3 years and hopefully longer.

17. danetello macrumors 6502

I think I will keep mine for about 2-3 years, or if a major upgrade comes out maybe earlier

18. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

That's so true. I'm learning not to keep up with technology, is hard though especially when the Macs resell value is pretty high :)

19. tears2040 macrumors 6502

Sell it every year and get the new version...... That way I only have to pay $500 or less for a new computer when I sell my 1 year old one.

20. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Getting a refurbished 2010 MBP 13" 2.4GHz then adding an SSD and 8GB Ram.

I think it should last at least 3 - 4 years.

21. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

Got an apple care recently so until it expire

22. GermanyChris, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Until the urge strikes me to get another one...

Like other posters said it really isn't costly if you go year by year.

23. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I dont know.
    If the new refresh has better stuff and has no problems, Ill buy it.
    But I wont sell my old ones so I guess they will be a back up

24. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Well I was going to keep my early-2008 15" MBP for at least 5 years (well, was actually going to give it to my wife when the 2012 redesign came out), but unfortunately its just died, 6 months outside of the 3 year extended Apple Care I had :-(

Unless I can repair it, I will now probably buy one of the refreshed Macbook Pros to that look likely to be released next week, as need a working laptop asap.

In the future, though, I think I will sell my Macbook Pro before the 3-year extended Apple Care runs out (I can get extended Apple Care cheap through Educational pricing, as I work for an Educational institution, so this is always worth doing)