How long do you think a 1.83GHz CD Macbook will last?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anti-microsoft, Sep 21, 2007.

?

How long will a 2006, 1.83GHz MacBook last?

1. 2-3 years

21 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. 3-4 years

23 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. 4-5 years

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. 5-6 years

6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. 6 years +

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Oh and by the way, battery and AC adaptor recently replaced.

I was thinking about 4-6 years what do you think??

I'll probably up the memory and the HD will be replaced soon.

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Depending on what you do. 3-4 years I think is what this machine is able for

3. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

I just bought a Macbook Pro CD 2.0 Ghz

I just bought a Core Duo Macbook Pro 2.0 Ghz at a bargain price ! I thought to buy a Macbook Pro SR 2.2 Ghz ,but I will not leave any pennies to buy extra mice, notebook case, and other stuff.

Anyway, considering my job that I am doing right now (freelance graphic desgner) as I am also looking for a full time position, I think I can start save up some money to buy a 17" Macbook Pro Quad Core 3.5 Ghz ,750 GB (10k rpm) internal HDD, Superdrive with Blu-Ray, 16 GB RAM with a LED screen in the future (maybe 2011?).

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The battery being replaced is what really sets it apart. Average use will go through the battery in about 2-2.5 years, so having a new battery is really crucial. Even so, I'd say that it will probably last only 2-3 more years, because at that point, the battery will be weaker, you'll begin to notice some other minor problems, and you'll feel like you owe yourself a new machine (that psychology hits us all;)).

Now, you're probably thinking of buying this thing off of ebay or Craigslist right? Be careful and try to see it in person. If you know the person, try to get a good price. How much have they quoted you?

5. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

That sounds more like a Mac Pro than a laptop....

6. 2fives macrumors regular

As long as possible. But really till they bring out some worthy upgrades. I'm honestly thinking 2010 christmas, by then my MBP will be 4 years old.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well, he did say 2011

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

4 to 6 years seems a reasonable assumption .. :)

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

But most of the specs he mentioned don't even make sense in a laptop. With everything he wants the battery would have to be backpack mounted to get more than 10 minutes. Unless he just didn't mention the new MBPs' dual fuel cells. ;)

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Perhaps he's planning on using a miniature nuclear reactor...he'll have a healthy glow wherever he goes.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Nahh, I'd be shocked if you can't get a quad-core laptop with a 750gb hard drive and 16 gigs of RAM by 2011. Heck, you can get a dual core 250gb hard drive and 8 gigs of ram now, so you're only looking at doubling everything in 4 years.. very doable IMO.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hasn't it been faster than that? The stock RAM on the PB/MBP series has gone from about 512MB in 2005 to 2GB in 2007. That's two doublings in just two years. I'd say we can expect a notebook of nearly the same performance before 2011; maybe as early as late 2009 or early 2010.

13. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Isn't the MacBooks Pro's limit 4GB of Ram??

so thats eight times in two years.???:confused:

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I was using stock RAM (that which is included with your purchase) as my index of comparison. However, if we use max RAM, I'm sure it still comes to about 2 doublings in 2 years.

Also, the mbp's "official" limit is 4GB, but I'm sure it's technically higher. In fact, C2D macbooks have a real limit of 3.3GB (just as a comparision).

No, 2 doublings is 4 times the original.

1>>2
    2>>4

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Lifespan = 4 years * (protective case x .3) * (cable lock usage x .1) * (2/2+years of attendance at school while owning) * (1/1+proximity to beverages) * KlutzFactor - (.25*cats) - (.25 * younger siblings or roommates)

16. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

If you use max RAM it's one doubling in 2 years (2 to 4).

And I think 4GB is the max that is possible in a MBP since there aren't RAM chips bigger than 2GB available at the right speed.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The Powerbooks supported 2GB? Are you sure?

Note that the current 4GB limit isn't on the part of the mbp, it's on the part of current RAM available. I'm sure that someone will soon manufacture a 4GB stick (maybe by next year) and we'll find out the mbp's true RAM limit.

18. Rqaw macrumors newbie

My Imput

I would have to say 3-4 years, I've had mine for 3 1/2 years and it is falling apart, the a key came off and the disc drive is broken, now I'm just saving up for another one.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Probably a week or two at most.

BTW, I will be glad to recycle it for you. PM me if interested and I'll send my snail mail address.

On a serious note, if it does everything that you need to do today, it will continue to do those same tasks until it dies. So my guess is easily 3-4 years.

20. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

Mine is a little over three years old. I upgraded the hard drive and I've had to have the screen and keyboard replaced. It's got a pretty bad screen flicker now and it runs a bit slower than it used to, but overall it still works pretty good. I'm anxiously awaiting a MBP update.

21. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

You can get that *NOW* in a workstation laptop from Dell (one of the Precision M6x00s), but not inexpensively!

22. Embio macrumors member

Well mine has the maximum 2GB of RAM and a 7200rpm 200GB disk, I expect it to last a good while. I work as a sysadmin, so obviously I use VMware a lot. Being able to run 64bit OSes (I'm looking at you Win2008R2) in VMware would be a big bonus for me, and it's starting to hold me back a bit. Ditto 2GB of RAM.

I expect 10.7 to abandon support for 32bit only Intel, and I'm starting to think about my next machine... but I can't quite bring myself to abandon my first Mac just yet!

Oh who am I kidding - December 2010 at the latest

PS. depends what you mean by 'last'. If you mean 'last' as in 'turn on and function' then as long as my 1994 Powerbook ;-)