How long do you think it'll take for devs to corrected "zoomed" apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vaultwit, Sep 20, 2014.

1. vaultwit macrumors regular

Many third party apps are still a zoomed in version of what you'd see on the 5s, even after so-called "iOS 8 compatibility" updates. How long do you think it'll be before these apps are updated to show correct zooms? Maybe a week or two? Apps like Facebook, Instagram, Gmail, Amazon are all zoomed as of this writing

2. wicker21 macrumors member

wicker21

Give it a month for developers with popular apps. Keep in mind that almost all developers found out about the increased resolution on the 6 and 6 Plus the same time we did; they have had the new dev tools less than two weeks.

3. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

In mayan time or greenwich village time? Need to be specific.

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

5. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

It was stupid to hardcode a fixed resolution in apps to begin with!
    Should have taken the hint from how Android apps are coded!

6. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Apple has been strongly encouraging auto layout for some time now.

7. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Major apps? A few weeks. Maybe a few days in the case of some.

Middling apps? A few months.

Old apps without much support? Half a near to never.

8. vaultwit thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed! And you'd think companies like Amazon, Google, and Facebook would know better...

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's currently taking Apple over 2 weeks just to go through the approval process for app updates, so no, a few days is not going to happen. Add the development and testing time (remember devs are just getting test phones now (if they are lucky), just like you are) and you're probably looking at a minimum of 3 weeks until Apple can clear the backlog.

10. barakrl macrumors newbie

it's actually more complicated than you guys think.
    the transition from iphone 4/3 to the 5 was fairly simple as only a single dimension (height) has changed (from 480pts to 568pts).
    however, with the 6 and 6+, stuff are different.

there are 2 different issues there:
    1. iphones 4/4s/5/5c/5s and the new 6 have the same screen dpi, and therefore share the same assets (i.e. @2x). however, the 6 has a different width/height size which means you need to rethink the entire layout of the app and you can't just replace the assets with bigger ones (as they are the same assets, unless you start placing code for each asset saying if iphone 4x/5x use asset X, if iphone 6 use asset Y).
    2. on iphone 6+ you have to deal with two issues: a. higher res assets (i.e. @3x) and b. a 4th screen size.

so basically for every screen in the app you now have 4 layouts: iphone 4/5/6/6+ and two sets of assets (@2x and @3x) where previously we just had a single set of assets (@2x) and 2 layouts which are very similar.

my point - it's going to take more time than it took devs to support the iphone 5. (but yes, most big companies will support it within a month, now that we have all the technical info.)

11. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Crazy. I was under the impression that apps like Twitter and Facebook have some exemptions. Those were most of the big ones I was talking about.

I really hope this sorts out because some apps just look really bad on the Plus.

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well, you might be correct about that. Devs can request an expedited review and I suspect Apple would give "important" apps faster reviews without them even having to ask. But still, getting everything working for both iOS 8 and new iPhone layouts is not necessarily trivial (depends on the app) and Apple reviewers are slammed right now. So I think you will probably see the big apps (Facebook, Netflix, MLB, etc.) sooner than others, but probably not within a few days either. iOS 8 has its own quirks, I just discovered a crash in my app on iOS 8 that did not exist in iOS 7.