How long do you think until we see a 2TB Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

Is this something that's on the horizon or is this size impossible right now?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not until 2 TB SSDs are affordable, which is a ways off still.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

yeah, the rMBP spells the end of ancient, slow platter drives....so as long as SSD's are about $1/GB I would say, not anytime soon!

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

By the time 2TB 2.5" hard drives are available, chances are cMBPs will be discontinued, so our only option will be flash storage.

Before we see 2TB of flash storage as a BTO option, I say around 3-4 years.

If you want lots of internal storage right now, get a cMBP and buy 2 1.5TB hard drives. One to replace the stock one, the other in the optibay.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

There's no need to be concerned with drive capacity if you assemble a robust home network.

Then you simply offload your files to the network, back them up on an NAS, and be free to buy your next MBA or MBP without having to worry about the size of the SSD/HDD.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, I never worry about size of my HDD....unless I take my laptop (or "portable computer") outside of the house. This is the same logic that people use for questioning storage on the iPhone, but cloud and networked storage will never be as good as having that same space on a hard drive.

7. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Consumer-grade networked storage is generally pretty slow, and you are assuming that the computer is only used inside your home.

If you aren’t using a wired gigabit LAN, networked storage is horribly slow.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You buy the current MacBook Pro, you can remove both the built-in optical drive and the standard HDD; then put in the 1TB HDD in each location for 2TB. Alternatively there is also the 960GB SSD from OWC you can put in for both locations, which a tad less than 2TB, but will be very fast still.

9. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

Horribly slow for what? It might be painfully slow for a large initial backup, or accessing multiple GB video files, but its not too slow most home usage needs. I have nothing special and see about 1MB/s over the network. Its quite slow relative to FW800/TB/USB3, but its plenty quick for most things.

10. nicoritschel macrumors regular

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Assuming you mean a platter based HDD, I suppose you could disassemble this and stick the drive in your MBP. SSDs won't be there for a while (at a reasonable price anyway). I don't know of any other 2TB 2.5" drive on sale.

12. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

I've got a 1.5TB MacBook Pro, and could easily have a 2TB one. Too bad it's the model Apple killed off. :rolleyes:

13. cube macrumors G5

I don't know about the height, but the mechanism has a USB connector instead of SATA, typical of what WD has been doing with externals for quite a while and why I won't buy them.

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They're not internally sata anymore? That's a shame. I figured it'd be like my old one

15. cube macrumors G5

WD has been doing that with externals for quite a long time now, I don't know if always.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Are you saying you wouldn't pay $2k for a hard drive? :D

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I have a 320GB model from a few years ago that's definitely SATA. It was a "macintosh" edition drive (not that it makes a difference beyond the formatting).

Maybe the firewire version is still sata?
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...45139267&sr=1-2&keywords=My+passport+firewire

edit: Yes it is
    http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_my_passport_studio_review_2tb

I wonder if a 15mm drive would fit inside any laptops

18. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I've heard that they can fit in the unibodies, though I haven't tried myself.

jW

19. cube macrumors G5

No, laptops can take upto 12.5mm drives.

Some laptops only take upto 9.5mm or 9.7mm drives.

Some laptops only take upto 7.5mm drives.

Finally, laptops don't take 12V drives like enterprise.

20. urkel macrumors 68030

With SSD having such limited capacity then why doesn't apple make a dual drive system? Two inboard 512MB would be great. (especially if they were user upgradable. But those days may be gone)

21. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think these companies want you to start using "the cloud" for storage.

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

No need to spout out common knowledge. I was just merely wondering if there may be *some* laptops out there that can squeeze in a 15mm drive - I would speculate that a particularly thick laptop might be able to fit one. Especially since there have been other 15mm drives in the past (Seagate made a few back in the day)

23. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Probably one of those 2" thick Alienware or Dell gaming rigs.

24. cube macrumors G5

If it was such common knowledge, why did you go suggesting to buy a drive that would most probably not fit without checking first?

25. tenshu2k macrumors member

after getting my rMBP, I've been more committed to cloud and network storage.

wish I had done it sooner really.

All my docs, important files, etc -> BOX.com 1TB cloud storage. Creates a sync folder, so I can keep them locally as well.

Media - Have around 6TB of storage on the Hackintosh Pro. Gigabit wired, 300-600mbps wireless. HD streams without a problem.

But, I really don't think people need much storage nowadays with Netflix, Spotify, iTunes Match, etc.. What are you filling up your drives with?