Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobaltchroma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
it will take for the same batteries that are in the new MBP to make its way into the iPhone?
it would greatly improve battery life.

Jun 24, 2004
it will take for the same batteries that are in the new MBP to make its way into the iPhone?
it would greatly improve battery life.

lets wait and see how much truth there is in the claims they are making about the MB first.

cobaltchroma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
I think they're too big to fit. :D

i thought about this, but then i watched the new battery vid on apples site and by the way he explains it, it seems they can make the new batteries very thin and in very customizable shapes.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Hm .. I wonder if they're compatible technologies. I really have no idea.

Maybe the MBP battery performs best in "burst situations" (idle, idle, PROCESSING, idle, idle), and maybe the iPhone needs more of a steady trickle?

I really have no idea.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
i thought about this, but then i watched the new battery vid on apples site and by the way he explains it, it seems they can make the new batteries very thin and in very customizable shapes.

While I was being facetious in my prior post, you're correct in that the newer technologies will allow for longer life and/or shape flexibility due to higher energy densities. I don't know about the new Apple ones as I haven't seen much of the coverage yet, but I did hear of some research being done a while back (at Stanford?) that promised significantly higher energy densities by growing little "nano whiskers" in the electrodes. This gives a much higher surface area on the electrodes. I don't recall their claims, but it was staggering. I think it was something along the lines of 30-40 hours of battery life per charge on a typical laptop.

ETA: Google search of Stanford's new tech

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home

I can't remember the exact words, but the video seemed to suggest they were already making multiple shapes. Seeing as it's only for 1 design i.e. the 17 inch laptop, i'd imagine it'll roll in pretty quick.

Worth rechecking the video to see what they said - was just around when they showed how they were produced. With the lead time of the machines, i'd imagine they would have got ready to roll it out to others, just as the unibody will roll out to the 17 inch laptop size as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.