How long does a palm rest/ screen bezel replacement take for 2007 white macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AreYouIn?, May 14, 2010.

1. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I have a white macbook and it needs the bezel and palm rest replaced for the cracking issue they are known to have. Its almost 3 years old and I did not buy applecare.

If I take it into a store are they going to try to make me pay for this since I have no warranty? Also do they generally have the parts in the store?

The closest store is 2 hours away. The only reason I am going is to buy a new 13 inch Pro. I'm giving the whitebook to my parents and figured I could at least get the cracks fixed for them. If I have to wait a couple of days though I am going to have to just send it in, as I can't drive up there twice.

2. Chozo macrumors member

They may make you pay for them. I'd call and ask. When I took mine in to get the top case (for the cracked palm rest) and bezel replaced, it took them an hour. I asked them if they could do mine right away as I didn't want to drive an hour home to have them call me back in the same day saying it's ready. They were more than nice enough to do it for me.

Hopefully you can have the same experience.

3. maclook macrumors 65816

It's free regardless of warranty. Just schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar and they should know what to do. It took a day or two for them to fix mine. I'm unsure if they have a system where you can drop it off and they send the fixed unit to your house. I feel like I did that once though, so you should ask the Genius if that's possible. Other than that, you get your Macbook back looking brand new and it's free so just do it!

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

My late 2006 was replaced during warranty, and now is broken again, I do have to take it back there. Make your Genius Bar appointment, they do certainly know how to fix it. If the genius tell you have to pay, ask for the manager. The manager will either:
    1- say is ok to do it for free, because they know about the issue or for customer satisfaction.
    2- may say no...then be cool and polite, explain that it is unacceptable to have a computer broken due to no reason but cheap or defective plastic (manufacturing quality issue). And if that doesn't work try another store.