How long does a Quad Mac Pro last?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by theapplefreak, Sep 29, 2009.

1. theapplefreak macrumors regular

So basically, I'll be using it for:

• HD Video Editing
    • Photoshopping [Graphic Desining]
    • Audio Recording (Some)

I just wanted to know about how many years the Mac Pro will last for me using these tasks.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

A couple of things:
    1. You need to describe the overall file size; i.e., quality, length, etc.
    2. Depends on a lot of other factors, like what other tasks you are trying to do
    3. Depends on other hardware: ram, hard drive speed, connection type, graphics card, etc
    4. Depends on file type
    5. Depends on program

A lot faster then the MacBook if that's what you are getting it.

3. MacVidCards Suspended

3.7 years, give or take a decade

your question is nearly impossible to answer

It seems that they are lasting longer the the "time bomb" G5s before them, but people who can see the future are better off picking lottery numbers than predicting longevities of computers

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I assumed the OP is discussing how long it would take to complete a task.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

OP was referring to longevity of the machine;
    OP; It's impossible to say. Rominator said it best. However, how long a machine will last is completely different to how long you are prepared to use it. You might find future programs demand more computing power, which even the highest-end current Mac Pro can't deal with.

6. theapplefreak thread starter macrumors regular

I see. But with technology getting cheaper, I would gradually be able to buy more RAM, etc.

With these in note, do you think these tasks I do can still be done flawlessly or at least smoothly in 3~4 years? I would be using Final Cut Pro, Photoshop CS4, etc.

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I have an early 2006 Mac pro and it's still going strong. The newer machines are faster and more powerful, but my Mac Pro still meets all of my needs. If I had a new machine it would exceed my needs. Based on how well my machine has lasted and having the need to stay fairly current with software, I would guess 5 years before you would start looking for a new purchase. Of course, you could avoid updating software and get even more years. This also depends on new technology that comes along that you can't live without.

8. Michael Smith macrumors newbie

The software you use today isn't going to get any slower or worse. The question is not how long the machine will last, but whether you think you will outgrow it.

Realistically, with the state of the tools today, you could use it until it failed for mundane reasons without ever *needing* to upgrade.

Consider that there are folks today at the top of the game in the audio and graphic arts fields using hardware and software ten and twenty years old - it still works just as well as it ever did, the question is less "is the gear capable" and more "do you have the skill and talent"?

= Mike

9. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

5 years plus depending on the hardware requirements for newer software. As Apple improves multiprocessor performance, the cores will become more efficient over time extending the life further. Just load it full of ram...

10. dsiew81 macrumors member

Agreed. Improved multi-core support will be inevitable, might as well pick up an 8-core now and you can beef it up as you go.

11. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I bought the early '08 octo Mac Pro, and the hardest stuff I push it to do is Photoshop CS4/Lightroom. I figure I'll be fine using this machine for at least 4-5 years before program bloat starts to catch up.

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Put it this way; would you buy a G5 PowerMac for what you want to do?

13. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Haha, I've been using my custom built 500 pound PC for almost five years now. I use Photoshop CS4, Premiere CS4 and After Effects CS4. I only have 2 gig of RAM and a duel core processor. It works fine. Untill my machine breaks down I will use it. Then upgrade to a mac pro :)

I plan on getting about 2 - 3 more years out of this machine. Then I'll buy a mac pro and get about 10 years out of it haha.

14. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I couldn't imagine using the same computer for more than 2-3 years. Even if it's perfectly fine, the itch to upgrade makes it unbearable to live with the same computer for longer than that. :D :p

Everyone's different though. I know someone who's still perfectly happy with their (1998) Blueberry iMac. :eek: