How Long Does Apple Support Older OS's

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wicked1, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am thinking of keeping OSX SL and not upgrading my main Mini, my Wife's new Mini has Lion and she doesn't care but I do not like it.

Unlike Microsoft who does stop support, Does Apple ever stop support on recent OS's, more concerned with OSX 10.5 and 10.6

Just looking to see how long I have before I HAVE TO switch :rolleyes:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In general Apple only support (in terms of security updates) the current and previous releases of OSX. Once a new version comes out there tend to be very few feature releases for older versions. Apple's own software frequently requires or has additional features on the newest OS only.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Support, in what way? As far as updating with new enhancements or features, they stop as soon as a new OS is available. They might provide an update that corrects a serious security flaw, but nothing else.

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I think currently Snow Leopard is supported but Leopard don't. As Lion gains market share, Snow Leo tends to be abandoned. Upgrading Apple OS is a lot cheaper than Windows, however outdated Windows OS tends to be supported longer than OSX, mostly because of corporate adoption of Windows and security concerns.