Resolved How long does iPod backup take??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OldCorpse, Dec 17, 2015.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

OK, so since I couldn't get my iPT6 to be seen by iTunes on my iMac, I broke down and decided to update from iOS 8.4 to 9.2. I did that from my iPT6 - since like I said, iTunes couldn't see it. BUT, I did it while I had the iPT6 cabled to my iMac with iTunes open. Everything seemed to have gone OK - i.e. my iPT6 announced that I'm on 9.2, and lo and behold iTunes saw my iPod, and started backing it up.

Well. That's my next issue. It's been backing up for 17 hours now. The arrows spinning and the blue line on top of the iTunes showing "Step 2 of 7" and it's been like this for 17 hours with no progress - it's backing up to the computer. I have a 64GB iPT6, and it shows 40.16GB as free. I have a few videos, very little music (like 3 albums), maybe about 100 books in GoodReader and KindleApp, and a bunch of apps that I rarely use.

Even though the iPod was fully charged when I began this operation, and it's been connected to my iMac this whole time by USB cable, it shows now battery almost gone and a red bar status.

Question: how long is this backup supposed to take?? And can I just disconnect the iPod if it doesn't complete? Is it hung up? TIA!

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It takes a minute or two to do a manual backup of my iPod touch 6th gen with 128 Gb. Often the sync with iTunes will hang, when it does, I click the "x" to cancel the sync, restart iTunes, and let the sync run again. Usually it works properly the second time around. If not, I restart the iPod and do it all again.

3. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Strange, the newer Macs can give up to 2.1A over USB so your device should be charged. Even the basic 0.5A should keep a small device charged if the screen is off. Did you get it wet?

It sounds like iTunes is being useless again. Try turning off the iPod and turning it back on. A full backup (not incremental) should take a few hours, at most 12 hours. A high speed 64GB microSD card takes under an hour to fill up, so 12 hours should cover it.

4. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

So, I did as advised by Duckxxx and I stopped the backup process. I then rebooted the computer, turned off the iPod, turned the iPod back on, and connected it by USB to my iMac. iTunes launched, saw the iPod, I backed it up manually, took about 2 minutes or so, I synced it, put a few more books on it, and all is well. Hopefully, that's the last of the problems, although I still see the same behavior as before when I attempt to add things like books to GoodReader - I click on "Add" in iTunes, and select the file, and half the time iTunes can no longer find the iPod at that moment... it takes a few tries, but eventually I get the books added.

5. LaraStone macrumors newbie

LaraStone

It can take awhile, but it all depends what you have on it and if it's the first time doing it (full backup) or an incremental backup.......